Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Feeling itchiness in the throat after belting high

laraiblaraib Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 8
Hello everyone, so I was belting at the church in the morning and I was holding the high note I felt itchiness in the throat. I stopped singing and as I was talking my voice started becoming hoarse. I went on a 3-hour vocal rest and as I was eating, I felt a lump like sensation and started coughing. I am scared! I hope and pray to God it's not a polyp, nodule or cyst.
After the 3-hour rest I was sounding normal but the itchiness, scratchiness still exists. Please help. I don't know what's going on. I was just trying to grow my chest voice ( although I didn't warm my chest voice correctly).

Comments

• laraiblaraib Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 8
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    If you feel an itch or scratchy feeling on your cords, you have probably irritated your vocal cords by oversinging. That means singing a little bit too loud. You should learn to govern the volume of your voice and try to remain below the threshold of getting this feeling. Use this experience to monitor yourself in the future and stay at safer levels for your voice.

The swelling should go away shortly. Don't aggravate your cords with more loud singing when they are swollen.

Polyps or nodules normally won't occur as the result of one instance of singing loud, unless it's extreme and sustained. Even then, it's normally from repeated instances, over a period of time.

Do warm up before singing, whenever possible, and learn to control your volume to reasonable levels.