Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Hello Amazing community I'm new here!

Hello Everyone !

I'm Jack, I was mainly a guitarist for many years but turned out I have a solid voice so I became singer/lead guitarist kind of a la Gary Moore, Richie Sambora, Stevie Ray etc... inspired by all those lead guitarists and singers.
I'm a full time musician.

I've tried working on my voice with several vocal coaches, all teaching Classical singing. Don't get me wrong I'm not against it but what it did is that it changed my intonation and I don't sound how I'd like to anymore.
My first teacher was terrible and I got formed nodules on my cords due to tear and wear (I also teach a lot of guitar, so I speak a lot).
I did speech therapy a while ago and for some time now nodules have disappeared.
With the help of the other teachers (2) I can say now I have a decent base, that's where I decided that it could be OK to learn from someone even without their physical presence since I can understand what they are trying to convey.

However, I'm afraid to injure myself again (I have kind of a trauma now) and that's why I'd like your help on how to approach Ken's content and method. I'd like to know from your experience how would you:

- Learn the content and practice it?
- Can learning without a teacher's feedback right in front of you work ?

Thanks a lot for reading, and I can't wait to get started :blush:

Comments

• Jack_haddadJack_haddad 2.0 PRO Posts: 6
    Sorry for the typos, was writing really fast lol.
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Hey Jack... I can tell you that during the 80's I really blew out my voice hard trying to do DLR screams at full voice, due to a crappy PA system. This left me with nothing but the whistle of air for any note beyond maybe E4, and sudden vocal strictures when I happened to push too hard.
    Long story-short, many of the beginning exercises are fundamental to what a speech therapist would get you to do in order to resolve loss of voice issues.
    For me it restored my voice up to about E5 with no breaks, so that is pretty decent after a year and a bit.
    It is a very systematic approach to help develop your voice and fix vocal problems
    It worked for me, and I was able to get the assistance I needed right here on the forum

For what it is worth, I too am a lead singer and solitary guitarist for my band. It is a ton of work to be able to pull this off, but I really enjoy it :smiley:
  • AlyonaAlyona Member, Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 288
    Hi Jack!
    I had many problems in my voice many years ago. I didn't sing for several months even, It all was because of the wrong singing and tension. It came from my previous teachers.
    Then working with Ken I realised that things are not this bad. I started working on his method and I never had that "voice gone" since than. i made sure I understand every word he says, so I had to look some terms up in internet, see how muscules look. It made it better to understand what he means. And also he's pointing it out that we don't have to be loud and we have to keep relaxing.
    Also any time you can record a video and upload it here in the forums, so Bob or other members who know his techinques really well - will be able to guide you.

And yes I think even if working with Ken personally gives it extra knowledge on your own timbre, voice, position, right or wrong singing, it is possible to do it all doing his course. Because his whole technology is in his course.

Cheers!
  • Jack_haddadJack_haddad 2.0 PRO Posts: 6
    Thanks guys, really appreciate your time !