Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Is my vocal technique right?

tamkaptamkap Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 4
edited May 2018 in Vocal Health and Wellness
Hi everyone
I've been singing for the past three years and I've realised that i can't sing for an hour everyday for more than a month at a stretch without tiring or losing my voice. I also begin to lose my voice if I sing for two hours a day for more than 3-4 days at a stretch.
There's also a vein in my neck that pops out everytime I hit a high note, which is probably because I strain when I hit them.
Here's a link to a video that I recorded recently, can you listen to the vocals, mainly the end where I hit the high notes, and help me understand what I'm doing wrong and how to correct it please?
https://youtu.be/huAJmTiuh40

Comments

• Hi! I thought that was great. :) I'm just a beginner here, and someone knowledgeable will give you good advice soon. One thing I did notice straight away though was that you raise your chin when you do the high notes. You do it a lot at the end, where you mentioned you felt you were having trouble. You could try just singing a "laa" note and very carefully tilt your head back, and you should be able to feel and hear the detrimental effect on your voice as you do so. I think if you aim to keep your neck in a balanced, centred position, it should stop your throat from becoming constricted.
  • tamkaptamkap Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 4
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    @tamkap,

To answer your question, your vocal technique is not right. You have a great voice, but you haven't learned to use it right, yet. You are going to be awesome when you train your voice to work under more control.

The vein in the neck thing is from too much tension. You're using too much volume to get to those notes above F#4, especially when you go up to the D5. You're getting to the notes, but you're relying on muscle power to get there. When you learn Open Throat, better diaphragmatic support, and also glottal compression, you'll be able to hit those notes with plenty of power, yet not have to blast your voice to get to them. You will also train on scales that will help you to be able to get to even higher notes, so that the ones in this video will seem like easy low notes to you.

You've come to the right place to transform your voice from raw, uncontrolled power to being in control of what you are doing. If you follow the lessons in the course, you will be able to sing for many hours without losing your voice, day after day, and night after night. But take it easy in the beginning. Don't blast your voice through the exercises, or you will blow your voice out. It's not until later in the course that you have built enough of a solid foundation on the fundamental building blocks of good technique that you will then be given the keys to the Ferrari. First you learn to drive properly. Then Ken teaches you to be a race car driver.

I look forward to seeing you progress through the course!

Bob
    Thank you so much
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    I think you have tension everywhere when you do the high notes. You have to develop good support first. And I see you love doing vocal riffs and stuff as well. But first try to develop ease in that range first before you go into the riffs and runs. Your vein is obviously popping out because of strain, which I recommend tackling those notes little by little, soft and then once you're getting more comfortable, make the note stronger and stronger.

Just keep practicing and practicing.
    You have a good voice, with great potential.

All the best,

-Diego