Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Can't stop coughing

ericgamlielericgamliel 2.0 PRO Posts: 8
edited June 2018 in Vocal Health and Wellness
Two weeks ago, I was doing chest voice warm-ups. I was doing that "bright ping" sound, trying to grow my chest voice/ passagio zone. And I started coughing. I may have been pushing to hard on the higher notes. I was also trying to see if I could get a "really bright" sound, like a kind of witchy sound. I'm not sure if this is what cause my problem, but my throat became ticklish and I started coughing.

After the coughing started getting worse, I began backing off the sound. But the coughing persisted, day after day. Every time I went to sing, I end up coughing, after a few minutes, especially when going for an open sound.

It's been going on for two weeks now. I took a day off yesterday, to see if it will go away. But this morning I went to warm up. After a few mins. the coughing came back. Not sure what to do. I probably shouldn't sing. I have a video, but I don't know where to upload it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    I may have had something similar in the beginning...
    I was singing from my high chest/lungs instead of my diaphragm, and I was also quite dehydrated. Make sure you are using your belly area like the bag of a bagpipe... let it be the driver for your vocals... also increase your water intake, and take a swig in between each scale exercise.

It's also possible that you were pushing too much air through and subsequently dried your cords out.
    Who knows, could also be allergies???

As far as a video goes, just use your phone and then post it to YouTube. Set the privacy to "unlisted", and copy and paste the link here.