Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Help with 2 note phrase

I primarily sing harmony backup in my band. Typically all the higher stuff...G4 and above. Up to about C5. Some lower stuff too, but primarily in that range.

I have a critical 3 note harmony melody consisting of 2 notes, but they are right smack in the middle, and it's frustrating the hell out of me to get a clear note that's not gravely or wavering. Each note is about 2 seconds long. Vowel sounds are: EEEE (C#4) AAAA (cat) (D#4) AWWW (C#4)

It's not a belty harmony, but I may have to do that (and back away from the mic) to get clear notes. And it's too low for a pure falsetto sound. (I can make the sounds, but it's simply not loud enough to blend with lead singer.)

Any tips on finding the right coordination? I have about a month to get this nailed.

Comments

• Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    edited August 2018
    the sound is probably distorting because you are starting in EE then re opening the throat, this means that you move the vocal tract when you change the vowels,

make sure you make space on the back of the throat as much as the EE vowel can take, then fit all the rest of the vowels in that space without pushing, but in a relaxed state, just like the vocal tracts shaping exercise on the KTVA course, you are just going from EE to a bigger vowel, so its kind of backwards, otherwise when you move the space while you sing it will ruin your performance (sound gravely)
    its similar to an exercise Ken makes makes his student Adam do, EH AH EE OH UH or EE EH AH OH UH

hope it helps