Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!
Options

Feedback Appreciated: Believe by Mumford and Sons

Hey guys,

I'm doing a special song for an event. It's intermingled with a spoken word. Here's a recording of our first practice session (the mix isn't the best).

Here's the actual song for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW6SkvErFEE

Any feedback is appreciated so I can work at it before the actual event!

One question in particular I had is that my lower notes (as well as my speaking voice) is a little raspier/weaker compared to the higher notes in the chorus. How do I improve and grow that?

Ivan

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    In the chorus you are using call voice. You are calling out. You don't call out in your normal speaking voice. Some of the low parts you are not supporting much and you are using a dark tone. Brighten the tone down low and support.

If you want things to be at the same volume, then sing it all at the same volume. You are alternately singing loudly and quietly. Call voice tends to be louder.

One think that Ken teaches is to learn to build the weaker parts of the voice, such as the passagio, and to not sing the other sections of the voice any louder than you are able to sing the weaker parts. Grow the weaker parts and gradually get them up to the level of strength that you use in the other parts of your voice.
  • Options
    ivannyungivannyung Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 16
    I see thanks for your comments @highmtn!

I see what you're saying about supporting and brightening the tones down low. I notice the difference pretty immediately!

For singing loudly and quietly, you're saying I should stop doing that? So I need to strengthen and brighten the lower notes so that they're louder to be more consistent?
  • Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    Yes. Many people tend to get really loud on the high parts, but high parts are more piercing to the ears to begin with. They shout to try to get to the notes. This can tend to blow out the high part of the voice. It becomes obvious to the listeners when you bring the volume way down for getting through the register breaks, and makes them sound weak by comparison to the rest of the range.

I'm not saying to never have dynamics, but getting quiet on weak parts is not dynamics, it's just being weaker in a part of the voice that needs more development. Learn where your voice is weakest, and work on that part. Be gentle. It will take time to build. In the mean time, bring the other, stronger parts of your range into that level, so that you can have more consisitency in your voice throughout your entire range. Treat the voice as a whole and try to grow it as a whole.
  • Options
    ivannyungivannyung Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 16
    That is great feedback. thank you so much! i'll be working on those lower notes!