Home Psychology of Singing

shaky start

I always seem to start off a bit shaky when doing open mic nights vocals wise has anyone got any advice is it just a case of just bringing in lots of support?  I do get a bit nervous but not massively and i'm getting better the more i do it.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

You haven't given us a lot of information to go on.  Do you spend about 45 minutes to an hour warming up on the day of the open mic just an hour or so before you go on?

If not, then you should be.

Are you doing your workouts faithfully?

Bob

• marcmarc Pro Posts: 156
    yes I always warm up for at least an hour and am doing my workouts 6 days a week often twice through.  It doesn't sound proper awful or nething it is just the first song tends to be not as good and then i get better think it is just a little bit of nerves and maybe that i still havn't nailed all the technical aspects yet 
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Try to keep support in mind when you first go on.

If you just start singing without proper support, you are likely to get off to a poor start and things can go downhill from there if you are singing without support.

Bob

• bigbrotherbigbrother Pro Posts: 104
    I think the important thing is to have fun. Maybe your concerned about the crowd booing you, but if your not you should'nt worry. 

There are plenty of nights when i'm performing well, and get NO response. I used to get upset at myself for not doing well. I learned that the crowd is into their own thing and that having fun is all that counts. if someone joins in.. then great but, its not going to measure my performance. 

Singing/performing is really a personal and compelling thing. Confidence is absolutely necessary to be able to put it out there properly.
    To get rid of being shaky or anything else that concerns you, make a video or tape of yourself, then decide how well you did and critique what needs to be done to improve.

ps... I hope you can post a vid or track if you did  ;)
    BB
  • KokonuhtKokonuht Member, Enrolled Posts: 658
    I'm pretty sure it's the nerves, as the following songs come on, you start to feel more comfortable and be able to sing more freely without unwanted tension. 

This comes with experience of performing. Put your self out there more and you'll eventually get the hang of it!