Home SHOW TIME - Band Rehearsals and Performance Day!!!

finding key

marcmarc Pro Posts: 156
I did an open mic night tonight and everyone said my voice sounded good so would like to thank ken for that.  I messed up at the beginning coz i couldn't hear my voice where the PA's were facing the audience and there was nothing feeding back to me has anyone got any tips for this situation if you cant wear an ear piece of have a speaker playing back to you?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

The few Karaoke's I have ever gone to, I walked out to the audience side of the speakers, being mindful to not let the mic point towards the speakers.  There I could hear what was coming out and also avoid creating feedback in the sound system.

The audience gets a buzz anyway when you walk out amongst them.  A good setup should always have a monitor speaker for the singer.  If not, how are you going to stay in sync and in tune with the accompaniment?

Bob

• marcmarc Pro Posts: 156
    yeh they did have the speaker but they forgot the lead for it thanks for the reply.
    can anyone recommend a good ear piece monitor for this reason or is this not necessary? happened to me twice now
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

There are lots of good in-ear monitors, but chances are there will be no place for you to plug it in at a Karaoke setup. 

If there is no monitor speaker, try to position yourself someplace where you CAN hear yourself in the main sound system.  That's about the best you can do in a situation like that.

Bob

this was a proper gig i'm also playing at a small festival in a weeks time :)

Shure makes some really good professional grade in-ear monitors. 

There are some with two speaker elements and some with three elements in each earpiece. 

There are other quality professional-grade IEM's, but be prepared to spend at least a couple of hundred dollars for entry-level models. 

Bob