Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Using volume

Hey guys, some help or advice would be great.

I have noticed that when i sing songs quite quiet or back off on volume I sing quite well. But when i then bring the volume back up or push the volume, I lose my ability to hit high notes as well as when i can without much volume. I do naturally have a big range and i do not suffer from much tension or a rise of the larynx, but i feel like the sound is choked off as i bring in the volume on big notes. And also, most of the time i cant add my higher range into songs sue to fear i don't have a nice enough tone on the high end. Any help please?

Thanks

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited September 2013

Jamie,

You will find that your voice will remain resilient if you stay with the smaller, more controlled level of singing.  You will avoid overblowing your voice and your upper midrange will stay nice and crisp if you sing below your limit and keep your voice under constant control.

You will notice that in many exercises Ken says "Don't do this exercise any louder than you can sing it through your passagio without the speed bump. "

As a general rule, keeping support working for you at all times, and regulating the breath to avoid irritation or drying out of the cords will keep your range at its maximum and the quality of your voice at its most brilliant.

On the Big Money Notes, rely on resonance, not volume.  Find the Pocket, and let the note ring!  Bring in the final relief valve, vibrato and let it resonate!

You can go ahead and lean into it, and even roar when you want to or need to, but don't do it all the time or even all night.  Keep variation in your performance and in your workouts, and your voice will thank you for it.

Always Pace Yourself. 

Bob

• JamieHJamieH Pro Posts: 71
    Hey Bob, thanks for the reply. I really do understand you when you talk about singing at a lesser volume, but for me that is what makes me stand out as a sing, that i can get powerful notes with volume. This may note work all the time for me buy that's how it works for me. Today i tried singing a chorus without using volume but my voice sounded quite twangy and the big notes weren't as good as produced with lots of volume. So for me volume helps me hit most notes. I know this is probably all wrong, but i do hope to learn new ways. When ken sings hard and heavy he sounds like he is using lots of volume, yo me that's what makes me think he is singing hard and heavy. Again wrong probably, but for me i have been stuck in a rut about volume.

Also, during the exercises on volume one, i struggle with the low notes, i always have. At the start of the scale i will hit the starting low note , go up the scale, buy when i come back down the low notes are just weak and makes me sound like the grudge, sometimes its a very bad dry feeling for me also. Can you help me on this?

Thanks
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited September 2013

@JamieH

You need to swap support for volume.  If you properly support, you can sing powerfully at a lower volume level, but it will "sound" louder to the listener and feel full to you as you sing it.  If it sounds weak, support more. 

We need to hear a sound sample from you to accurately answer your questions. 

You may be remaining in head voice as you come back down the scale, and going lower than your head voice can sustain.

Bob

• JamieHJamieH Pro Posts: 71
    @highmtn

I don't really understand the concept of support for volume but i guess that's what i will learn on the course.

For a sound sample do you need to see me do it or just hear me?

I don't see how i can be bringing my head voice right down to my low register. I guess i would know if i was doing that. What i mean is the low notes in chest voice or even lower than that. I can start the low note then when i come back down the sound just shuts off on the low notes. It is strange.

thanks

For sound samples it is better if we can see you because we can watch as well as listen and see if your body is supporting, as well as your breath being supported.

If you supply just an audio sample, that will still help us far more than verbal descriptions.

Bob