Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Need advice on my singing

Hi All,

A short introduction is in order!
i'm 32 and been trying to sing for 10+ years. Never took lessons, never recorded myself. I was one of those people who just believed they sounded good.
God, was i disappointed when i tried to take it to the next level and started recording myself and actually doing some scales.
Result. I gave up and felt like a complete idiot. I haven't sang much for the last year. Anyway, i'm back at it and trying to learn allot.

Im extremely lost though. I have no clue what voice type i have. I can sing very low and very high. But neither sound very good :/ Awesome! not!
I believe im sort of a baritone. But that's besides the point of what i wanted to ask in this post.

Ive been recording myself allot lately and trying to improve my singing. Today something big hit me and i think i'm on to something why i never really sounded good. Although i can match (a single) pitch quite easily. My scales and singing never felt in harmony. Something was just wrong. I dont know what it's called or if there's a definition for it so ill just try to explain as best as i can and provide a recording.

It seems that when i sing and the notes go up and down i will pretty much hit the note (i think) but i constantly change my voice. It's not a smooth transition from note to note. God this is hard to explain...

Ive provided a simple recording where i just sing in a comfortable zone for my voice and hopefully im on the right track and somebody will know what i mean and give me some insight. The comments on the recording are in Dutch. So i will explain here.

I will be singing the same piece of a song over and over. The first bit will be where i think i'm doing it correct. The second piece when i think im doing it wrong and it's exactly how i have been singing for years.

Song Here

Thanks allot for taking the time to read my post!

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Rhoana.

The first example sounds better, more natural.

Bob

• RhoanaRhoana Member Posts: 4
    Thanks, Bob. It was what i was hoping for. However, is it safe to say that in the second example the technique is bad? Or is it just a matter of taste and both could work? To my ears the second example seems im hitting the same notes but there's an unnatural way of how i go up and down in the notes. As if it's not in harmony.

It feels more natural in the 1st example and more in harmony. But i'm not 100% sure if that's the case.

It's a very important discovery for me because it totally changes the way i sing and all together a very different feeling. I just need to know for sure that im on the right track here before i apply it to my voice only to find out 6 months later this is also not the correct way to approach notes because sadly, Ive come to the conclusion that i have taught myself a gazillion bad techniques over the years and im having a very very hard time getting rid of them.

I'm really hoping you can give some more information about what i'm doing wrong in the second example, or good in the 1st. if you need anything else. A recording of scales or whatever please let me know.

So saving up for the Ken tamplin dvd's BTW. Until then ill have to do with his awesome youtube videos and any advice i can get from here!

Again, thanks for reading!
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

In the first example you seem to be using more support. The tone is better. The sound is more coupled to the diaphragm by the support.

In the second example, there is a little less control.  You do seem to be floating the pitch up and down a bit.

Keep saving for the KTVA program.  You need to get the basics down.  A/B comparisons that may both be incorrect technique will delay your progress.  You have a good sounding voice, but you need a solid foundation to build your voice upon.

Bob

• RhoanaRhoana Member Posts: 4
    Thanks, Bob. Im getting the KTVA program soon.

After practising those for a few months i would like to get lessons from Ken. But to be honest even thinking about it makes me sweat. It seems all his student online are already so SUPER talented.

Hopefully after sticking with the program for a few months ill be more mentally ready for lessons.

Does he have allot of beginner students, or students who are self taught and have a million bad habbits? :p
    I noticed it's very hard to get rid of the bad habbits because they have become muscle memory a very long long time ago!

Rhoana,

Don't be shy about the thought of booking lessons with Ken.  He is very patient and will help you to make great strides with your voice.

That said, I would recommend that you work his program first, so you won't be spending time at lesson prices learning a lot of things that are taught in the KTVA Volumes.  Be familiar with his basic concepts and with doing his workouts.  That will give you a platform from which to progress further when you do book some lessons.

Ken's KTVA Volumes and Workouts will give you new muscle memory to overwrite your current bad vocal habits.  No time like the present to get started!

Bob