Home Off Topic

What is the difference between Lou Gramm and Kelly Hansen?

I like the voice of both singers,  but I wonder about the particularity of each?

Kelly sings in a "mixed voice"?

Lou sings in a "full belting"?

In any case, I am a beginner in singing terminology.

I would like you to talk to me about the difference in their voices.

Cheers ;)

Comments

• ragnarragnar Pro Posts: 410
    Different singers will never sound identical, but there's not really much of a difference there, they both have the same approach to singing as far as I can tell from those clips.
  • ragnar, could you expand your explanation?( detailing a little more the type of technique used, vocal ornaments, etc..),

cheers ;)
  • ragnarragnar Pro Posts: 410
    If you want more detail you are gonna have to be more detailed yourself in your question. Both of them are just basic good singers so the techniques they use are the same as everyone else. Strong supported chest, open throat with a well developed head voice that allows the powerful belted mix for the money notes.
  • thanks guys!, my question was directed towards the sound difference volumes between Kelly and Lou. I think Lou sings sound has a volume larger than Kelly but, in return, I have the impression that Kelly uses more "vocal ornaments from, the r & b" .In this sense, I love the style of "Kelly phrases" but I also really like the huge volume of Lou

what do you think?

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Well, for one thing, in your video clips young Lou is singing Urgent in the key of F, which is two half-steps higher than E-flat, which is where Kelly is singing it.

Higher keys sound more "Urgent" than dropped-down keys.

Kelly Hansen, in this video clip is singing in a key which is more casual than urgent.  The brain responds reactively to the message conveyed by something sung at what sounds like a much more emotional cry.

Bob

• Cinema, your comment I find really interesting.You do not have doubt that i will listen to what you recommend!
    Bob,
    I think your explanation simply great.And it's true, I had not really noticed the differences in the key.  I think we'll hear again!

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

@johnjohn,

Yes, in general, a higher key has a higher "sense of urgency" embedded into the sound.

As artists, part of our job is to convey emotion.

The melody of a well-written song can copy emotional cues from the melodic qualities we use when we are speaking, crying out, or even shouting.  In our speech, we sometimes hit higher notes for emphasis, and to indicate that we are asking for an answer. 

Sometimes when we lower a key to suit the vocalist, the song "just lays there" and loses its emphasis.

That is why many songs modulate up a half-step for the last verse, to build to a climax of sound and emotion.  You seldom see a tune that drops down a half step, except when the song is expressing some kind of let-down.

When we capture our listeners emotionally, they can identify with the feelings we are trying to convey in the song.

Bob