Home Vocal Health and Wellness

How to get your voice back on track after a bad cold

pjhillpjhill Enrolled Posts: 3
edited January 2014 in Vocal Health and Wellness
Hello all!

I had a really bad cold that lasted a week and I lost my voice for 3 days. I had a bad cough and the whole nine yards.  Now I that my voice is back, I can't sing liek I used to. I am straining to hit notes.  HELP!  What can I do to get my voice back?

Thank you all in advance!

Pre-Ah Hill

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

It takes some time if you have trashed your cords.  They need a little time to recover.  You should normally just go ahead and keep singing lightly. 

Coughing, especially coughing a lot is very hard on your cords.  So is clearing your throat.  If you find yourself coughing excessively, it will knock out your upper mid range and possibly your high range.

If you are hoarse, then you should take a vocal rest. 

Your voice will come back, but don't force it.

Bob

• pjhillpjhill Enrolled Posts: 3
    Thank you Bob!
  • Are there any remedies for a sore throat due to a cold... I am gargling with Oil of Oregano and then swallowing it. Also gargling with Listerine and then salt water but of course not drinking it. 

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

It's not inexpensive, but Tea Tree Oil is one of the things Ken recommends.  You can get it in a nasal spray form.  It only takes a small amount.

You should continue to sing lightly, but with very little air, while recovering from a cold.

Bob

• Thx Bob... going to try it... I have a gig tonight so I hope all goes well.. I do this full time so when I become ill I need all the help I can get to get through a show... :)