Home Off Topic

How do I do the tongue exercise in Volume 1 correctly?

VictorVictor Enrolled Posts: 21
edited February 2012 in Off Topic
Hi Ken! I just got started with Volume 1 and I'm having a hard time wrapping/rolling my tongue in the correct position for the tongue exercise. (I guess its cos i have a big tongue ) Please do you have any recommendations on what I can do to get my tongue in the correct position for the exercise? If not, please do you have any alternative exercise that can also achieve the same goal for doing the tongue exercise? God bless! Victor.

Best Answer

• Ken TamplinKen Tamplin Administrator, Moderator Posts: 446
    Answer ✓
    First off, these exercises are not sooo critical as they are just warm ups to get to the ah vowel. Try to keep the feeling like the "ah" vowel in the back of the throat when doing the tongue exercise. Try to concentrate more on keeping open space in the back of the throat. This will help. If not you can do the ng (like hung) but I far prefer the tongue exercise for lots of reasons

Answers

• VictorVictor Enrolled Posts: 21
    Hi Ken! :) Please is the tongue supposed to be dropped to the base of the jaw during the tongue exercise?
  • KokonuhtKokonuht Member, Enrolled Posts: 658
    edited March 2012
    @Victor the tongue is supposed to be round and bloated up lik a "n" shape out of your mouth. Don't stick the whole tongue out of course XD! If you do so, I'm pretty sure your tongue can't move around anyway. Since it's outside of your mouth, it's gonna be over your lower teeth which makes it positioned high a bit. However the main reason for this exercise is to pull away the tongue from the back of the throat to let you get used to the open throat sensation. 

When doing the tongue exercise, try to have the "yawning" sensation in the back of your throat. That is basically what Open Throat should feel like :D! *this applies to every other scale as well*

Do ask some more if you still have questions ;)

Rayhan
    Hi Kokonuhtz! :) Please I have a question. I am currently going through Vol. 1 and I'm having a problem with breath support. Please what warm up in the Vol. 1 work outs help strengthen breath support? If there isn't a specific one in Vol. 1, please do you have any recommendation? Thanks! Victor