Home Vocal Health and Wellness

no voice

Hey,

i have completely lost the battle with my voice and the top end of my voice has gone. It isn't there, all i have is croaked air.

i think has something to do with me doing vocal distortion incorrectly. The retired vocal coach of where I'm doing my degree has had me doing it, but hasn't really taught how to do. So instead i was going from the sound she was making and recreating it. It may also have something to do with me belting out a Bb5 to A5 then back to Bb5. She did i was singing incorrectly on this but i wasn't, i have sung it many times before and never had problems.

I know to rest my voice, but is there any thing thy can help speed the recovery? I have an audition fr a band next week and want to be on top form.

thanks.

Comments

• JosephJoseph Pro Posts: 260
    This sounds kinda serious. What happened since this?
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

@Jamieh

I hate when this happens.  You posted on November 7, but this is the first time I've seen this post, and only because Joseph was digging around, found it, and responded.

This probably happened after one of my accidental "Mark All Viewed" occurences when aiming the mouse for my "Inbox". 

I hope you recovered, and that your audition was successful.  Croaked Air isn't exactly what all bands are looking for in a vocalist, but you never know.

You are exactly right about the dangers of incorrect distortion techniques.  They can be the Kiss of Death to your vocal cords, for long periods of time, and if done chronically, possible permanent damage.

Incorrect distortion techniques can lead to abrasion on the cords, which can lead to nodes, which can cause loss of cord closure or lesions, or calluses...  all bad situations.

So are you better now?  If not, you might want to see a doctor and book a lesson with Ken.

Ken often can hear what you are doing and tell you how to stop doing it to yourself and change your ways to avoid damage in the first place.

This is important.

Please tell us how you are doing.

Bob