Home Booking Webcams with Ken Tamplin

Just bought Webcam lesson with Ken!

lordsammylordsammy Pro Posts: 62
Hi there,

So I've purchased a webcam lesson with Ken. Do any of you guys have any thoughts on best preparing for the lesson? Any songs that would work best to look at with Ken that I should learn?
Should I do the Volume 1 warm up or Volume 2 warm up?

I also wanna work with Ken on my originals.

Thank you kindly!!

Sam

Comments

• sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    Have your lah exercise ready to go. You could spend a whole lesson on that:). Also have a song or 2 that you are having troubles with. All you will need is verse chorus. Warm up before the lesson take a 15 min break then be ready to have your voice rocked. Let us know how it goes.
  • lordsammylordsammy Pro Posts: 62
    @sspatrick

Awesome thanks man. I've got two covers and a couple of originals I chose but I'll take his guidance.

Do you know if he always records the videos? I don't have a program and I'm waiting for a reply from them.

Thanks man :)
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Rehearse your lah exercises by using the Piano only exercises, or just sing along to your guitar.

Otherwise, when it's your turn to sing the exercises, you may be surprised at how you sound without Ken leading you the way he does on the Audio exercises.  Get used to hearing yourself sing the exercises without hearing Ken's voice. 

Bob 

@highmtn

Thanks Bob. Will do!

Very excited. My lesson is in 17 hours so I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Sam
    Ken usually records the lesson and will send it to you. I use Pamela which records it on my end. Have fun!
    @sspatrick

Thanks man. I was told that he will be recording it. 1.5 hours away!
    @lordsammy. How did your Skype lesson go?
    @sspatrick
    @highmtn

The lesson was good. We spent the majority of the lesson on the ah, ahh, and ee vowels. He said I was modifying to early (he said probably because he lets you know that early in the workouts) and I should only start modifying around g sharp / a.
    He also said I was pulling my larynx up and making a slight froggy sound (around this area the mod area I think).

But we got up to double f sharp like In the workout and he said I was doing it rockstar great, though sometimes I wasn't modding correctly on the way back down or was moving my jaw a little.

I think I was making my ee vowel too big in general.

We had about 5 mins to work on a song and we did "I remember you" by skid row. I was simply pushing to hard in the verse and he said to just sing it very lightly and small. I think I did a good job In the chorus keeping the tract open because he said "what was wrong with that?" As I had said to him earlier that I was struggling to get through the song. But I focused hard so I think I sing it better than usual.

He also said that I should be doing volume 2 through twice if I can. I tried this today and found that I was needing to drink water through the second time and had a bit of a scratch in the back of the throat. When I swallow at the moment there's a little roughness. My voice feels pretty tired from doing it twice too.

We are going to work on some originals next lesson.

I am going to have to rewatch my lesson properly to absorb all the info.

I'm happy to give more info if you like. Looking forward to your responses!

Sam
    That's great to hear. I ajways find I have more confidence after a lesson with Ken. He does push you pretty hard though which is great. If your voice is feeling a bit rough take a break. Work through the second time aa much as you can but remember you are building your voice and there be some fatigue involved at first. Always go back to basics. Great support bright open vowels and keep that throat open. I'm glad to here it was a great experience for you. All the best!
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

I'm always charged up after a lesson with Ken!!! 

He gets you pointed in the right direction and gets right to the point on what you're doing right and what you need to correct.

You will get a lot from reviewing the recording.  Keep soaking it in!

Bob

@sspatrick

It was great. He does push you but I'm used to it so it's good. 
    Half an hour after I finished the singing my throat felt normal again - no roughness. So I'm not sure what that means...

He does! It's great. Now I'm not modifying till the G sharp / A which feels great too. I'm sure there's still a bunch of things I'm doing wrong!!

Sam
  • jpachecolmjpachecolm Enrolled, 2.0 PRO Posts: 40
    I'm planning on taking a lesson within a month as well. This is good information to have. My problem is that I love all the songs that are sung by tenors and I think I need to build my upper register first or really learn the techniques that make it possible to do so. I can match pretty much all the notes in the exercises, but when it comes time to sing those tenor songs, I can't quite nail them. I'm thinking maybe it is a technique thing more than my range. Any advice?

Have you read all of the material in the forums topics in the section "Applying KTVA Methods to Songs" ?

There are also portions in volumes 2 and 3 and some of the webinars that talk about consonant usage and vocal tract shaping.  These are important issues in moving your KTVA training into singing songs.

There are also Webcam videos that are Ken going over particular songs with students.  Watch those and learn.

Bob

jpachecolm

Doing the exercises isn't as difficult as applying them to songs. First of all you need to work your voice out over time with the exercises so that you can then attempt to sing these tough songs with the correct muscle growth.

Like Bob said check out the consonant / vocal tract shaping, its critical. 

I would also prepare a couple of songs you want to work with Ken on just incase you have time. I think youll be spending the most part of the lesson on vowels and scales though. I'd prepare something that is slightly challenging and you need help with and something quite hard just incase.

Sam
  • JonnyquickJonnyquick Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 202
    lordsammy said:

@sspatrick
    @highmtn

The lesson was good. We spent the majority of the lesson on the ah, ahh, and ee vowels. He said I was modifying to early (he said probably because he lets you know that early in the workouts) and I should only start modifying around g sharp / a.
    He also said I was pulling my larynx up and making a slight froggy sound (around this area the mod area I think).

But we got up to double f sharp like In the workout and he said I was doing it rockstar great, though sometimes I wasn't modding correctly on the way back down or was moving my jaw a little.

We had about 5 mins to work on a song and we did "I remember you" by skid row. I was simply pushing to hard in the verse and he said to just sing it very lightly and small. I think I did a good job In the chorus keeping the tract open because he said "what was wrong with that?" As I had said to him earlier that I was struggling to get through the song. But I focused hard so I think I sing it better than usual.

He also said that I should be doing volume 2 through twice if I can. I tried this today and found that I was needing to drink water through the second time and had a bit of a scratch in the back of the throat. When I swallow at the moment there's a little roughness. My voice feels pretty tired from doing it twice too.

Sam

how long was your lesson?
  • JonnyquickJonnyquick Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 202
    edited July 2020
    lordsammy said:

@sspatrick
    @highmtn

Sam

as i said in a earlier post of mine. I was doing vol 1 twice through. It was amazing. Really did help. The more you do it the better your voice is. Like with anything singing. Once your voice is tired stop. Get as far as you listen to your body. Grats for reaching skid row level.!!!can.

Lastly one thing that helped me big time is vol2 student demo the dude. THere is SOOOOOOO MUCH info in there