Home Musical Gear and Equipment!!!
Options

Microphone/cable problems

matt53matt53 Pro Posts: 189
edited September 2014 in Musical Gear and Equipment!!!
Hi I have experienced several problems with my microphones and I wonder if anyone on here can help me diagnose it.
I have two microphones (both in the $30 range) and two mic cables, and I am using them with a Fender Passport 300 PA system.
Problem # 1 is that I cannot seem to raise my mic volume very high without feedback (I also sometimes play backing tracks through the Passport), even though I don't position my mic directly in front of the speaker system.
Problem # 2 is that no matter what combination of mics and cables I use, the mic just randomly drops out and this is something I really want to avoid during a live performance.
I am aware that getting a better mic like a Shure 88 is ideal but I simply don't have the money for it. I don't think the PA is the problem because I never experience sound dropout with the instrument or backing track channels on it. Any help or suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,358

You need to check the connectors on the cables for shorts or open circuits.

You didn't specify what type of cables they are, so I don't know... (XLR, high impedance, etc...)

It could also be a problem with the connector on the microphone itself.

It's unlikely that two different microphones would be having the same exact problem if they have different cords used on them.

It could also conceivably be a problem with the input channel you use for your mics, as opposed to the ones you use for the music playback. 

As to the feedback, the position of the mic relative to the speakers makes a big difference, but you already know to avoid having the mic right in front of the speaker.

You can also get the same type of feedback by having a reflective wall behind your mic, and the sound does a billiard-shot type of  ricochet from the speaker to the wall to the mic, so it's good to have thick curtains behind you on the stage, or carpet on the walls.  Reflective ceilings, floors and walls can cause this.  Besides that, you could just have the mic turned up too loud, or too much high-frequency (treble) on the amplifier or input channel, or if it's a low howl, too much bass or mids could also cause feedback.

You'll have to experiment with these variables in order to determine what is the cause.  Always try to set the speakers up where you are BEHIND the backs of the speakers in order to minimize feedback.

Bob