Home Vocal Health and Wellness
Options

part 1 question

PantherPanther Member Posts: 0
edited January 2014 in Vocal Health and Wellness
Hey guys. I been doing part 1 for a little over a month now. 5 to 6 days a week. It helped my voice some. However i still seem to have problems with my voice like feeling like. Its locked up and sore or like its limited in volume and range. Also there not much endurance there. Am i doing something wrong or will part 2 or 3 help this issue. Thanks.

Answers

• Options
    KokonuhtKokonuht Member, Enrolled Posts: 658
    Could you post a demo so we can tell how you're doing? :o It's easier to hear the problem rather than describing it.. x.x
  • Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357

Koko is right, a demo would be immesely helpful.

Once you post a demo, Dr. Kokonuhtz will prescribe a number of KT concoctions that will fix you right up! You put the Lime in the Kokonuhtz and drink dem both together...  ;^)

Just some thoughts...  Are you constantly monitoring tension and remaining relaxed?  Posture straight up?

Are you maintaining an OPEN throat?  "**AHHH!!!*** ***AHHH!!!***"   ;^)

The proper Abdominal Breathing will have a direct effect on your volume...  Chest remaining expanded... 

Because initially you must only go over your passagio at the volume at which your voice does not yodel, you most likeley WILL be limited in volume until you can raise your volume without the speed bump.  The best tip for that is the "Rocket Ship/Elevator" theory, which basically says to lighten up the weight on your voice a little bit with each note as you get higher.  This technique will help you to bevel out the speed bump to the point that it will cease to be an issue.  A little soreness is one thing, but PAIN is a DEFINITE RED FLAG.  Backing off on the volume and mastering your passagio should allow you to back off from anything that is causing problems or pain.  If you are in PAIN, STOP IMMEDIATELY and go to an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician for a consult.  If instead this is a minor issue, consider a Web Consult with Ken.

Once you have no issues at the shift from Chest Voice into Head, your range issues will fade into the past.

Parts 2 and 3 will keep going from where you should already be at the end of part 1.  You need to Master Part 1, because things get more intense in the next stages and build from what you already need to know from part 1.  Take as long as it takes until you know you've got it all drummed into your brain and voice before moving on.  You should recognize that your voice has grown dramatically by the time you go to Stage Two.

Bob 

• Options
    NigelNigel Administrator Posts: 138
    If you are actually "in pain" make sure to stop and follow up with Ken or any of the seasoned vocalists in this forum.

If you want Ken to listen to your voice, you can upload your vocal sample on the main site by clicking here: 

Make sure to mention that you are an active student and that you are having soreness and/or pain issues.

Please let us know how this gets resolved for you.

Thanks!

Nigel