Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

5 weeks off singing and back to it - Issues!

Hey guys,

Just had a 5 week holiday to Europe, meaning I also had 5 weeks off singing.

I got back and gave singing a punt yesterday. I could not stop coughing and splattering. I had this bizarre irritation in my throat, mainly the right side like I was closing my throat while singing. I tried to focus on opening my throat more but didn't help enough. Maybe my voice is getting used to working out again?
I got through Volume 2 and through some songs but it didn't clear up by the end of it.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time!

Sam

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Yes.

You might need to go back to Volume One for a week, just to get muscle memory reawakened.

Your voice will regain its strength, but not overnight.  Give it a little time to readjust to your workouts.

It's also possible you picked up a bug while travelling.  That could be what the irritation is about.  Give your body and your voice a chance to recover from  a long holiday and a lot of travel.

Hope you're feeling and singing better soon!

Bob 

• sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    @lordsammy Or possibly late nights and alcohol? That will do it every time:). If you think of your voice as a muscle, and you haven't used it for 5 weeks, there maybe a bit of a getting back into shape that needs to happen. Follow bob's advice and you'll be better than ever!
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Note to self:  When going on extended holiday, keep working out the voice...  OR expect to have to retrace your steps to get back to where you were before you stopped working out.

The same thing would happen to you if you were any other kind of athlete.   You would lose your conditioning.   It won't be like you never worked out, but you WILL notice the loss of muscle, control, confidence, and stamina.   

Resume regular workouts, and give your brain and body time to get back into the groove you were in before.  Then you'll probably experience new AHA moments!

: ^ )

Bob

• sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    Personally I like a holiday every once in awhile. It gives time to absorb what you are learning. I always come back better.
    Yeah, Scott, there's usually a leapfrog effect.  You may struggle to get your footing, but you may also find a renewed momentum and refreshed outlook.
  • lordsammylordsammy Pro Posts: 62
    Hey guys sorry I reponded late! Back at Uni last week and got completely side tracked!

Thanks things are starting to feel better as I settle back in. Loss of some information and skill but there are some AHA moments for sure!

Taking a little time for my voice to get used to the extremeness of distortion again but I'll work it back in alright.

One of my big goals now I'm back is to grow the chest voice and really work out the feelings of the full voice VS belt voice discussion. Wanting to grow my chest so my belt voice is big!

Thanks fellas!

@highmtn
    @sspatrick‌