Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Newest singing update

Ive been doing the KTVA method volume 2 for a little while now. Would like to get some critiques and tips on my singing.

The pitch is probably a little flat in some places, but it is a work and progress and one more step up the ladder! Thanks any comments appreciated!

https://soundcloud.com/deliverus/simple-man-cover

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited August 2014

@XGeneralZod,

My friend, your pitch is needing some help. You have good vocal tone, but your pitch is not there.

Please look at the recent postings by @kaulfers.  He started out in a similar place to where you are.

I asked him to spend some quality time on the Basic Pitch Program, which he did diligently.  He still had issues and I suggested some quality time spent playing random pitches on a keyboard and trying to match them using the things he learned from Basic Pitch.  He is a couple of weeks into that process, and he is making progress.

You need to go through this process, too, if you truly want to have a good singing voice, and I believe you do.  Right now, your voice isn't the problem, it's your pitch, the control of the pitch of your voice.

If you will tackle your pitch problem, you will be a really good singer.  If you don't, it won't matter how good the sound of your voice is, people won't sit still to listen to a singer that is out of key or off pitch.

You must tackle this, no matter how hard it may be for you.  I don't believe you are tone-deaf.  I believe you are not listening properly, and recognizing that your pitch is not correct, that you are not following the correct intervals of the notes.

I am a person who has been tested and rated as having exceptional pitch discernment from when I was in grade school.  I'm just lucky in that respect, and have a natural ability for it.  I do not believe that pitch discernment cannot be learned, however.  It is a skill.  I wasn't a natural singer, but I have learned to be a much better one by following singing methodology.  There is also methodology to listening, hearing, and pitch-seeking.

You should follow kaulfers' lead.  He's doing it, note-by-note.  This is the perfect opportunity for you guys to help one another out and get past a barrier that will hold you off from your dreams of vocal success.  This is a non-optional issue.  You MUST tackle Pitch.  You may need to take pitch-matching lessons, but kaulfers is going about it the DIY way exactly like a vocal teacher would have you do.

Follow his lead, everyone who is fighting the Pitch Demon.  Pitch is a deal-killer in the realm of singing.  Don't let pitch discernment spoil your aspirations to sing.  IT CAN BE LEARNED.  If you don't have it already, it MUST be learned!

Good Singing to YOU, XGeneralZod!

: ^ )

Bob 

• XGeneralZodXGeneralZod Member Posts: 13
    I re-recorded it trying to focus more so on each individual pitch. Is this one any better? 

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

No.  You are not singing the right pitches for the melody of this song.

In the key you are playing the song,

The first line should be E, D,   C,    E

Ma-ma Told Me

You sing                      C   B     A    C

Ma-ma  Told Me

From there it goes along like a train off the track.  No rhyme, no reason to the notes.  You have to stay on the track or you won't have any kind of reference to what is right and what is wrong.

Please.  Go sit at a piano or some other instrument you can play these notes on and see if you can see why in the key you are playing this, the melody should be EDCE, not CBAC, and see if you can sing the EDCE spot-on, not flat, and not sharp.

To sing songs and be in key, you have to sing the right notes, and you have to be in-pitch with the notes.  I still hear that your voice will sound great if you can ever get in touch with pitch discernment.  You have to actively listen while you are singing and make constant corrections to minute differences

I take it you did not take my advice on kaulfer's approach to teaching himself to discern pitch.  I don't believe you are tone-deaf, but I'm surprised if you are listening back to this recording of yourself and not knowing you're off.

Please do me a favor.  Turn on the recorder and play E, D, C, E on your guitar, very slowly, and sing those notes.  Get it right.  One at a time, take your time, just sing a real E then a real D, then a real C, and then a real E again.  Then do it again on Ma-Ma Told Me.

I KNOW you can do this.  I'm just not sure WHY you aren't.  Learn these melodies.  Stay on pitch.  Stay on track.

All the best, XGeneralZod

Bob

• XGeneralZodXGeneralZod Member Posts: 13
    Thank you Bob! I appreciate you taking the time to listen to all these recordings. I feel bad for having subjected you to this torture lol I have been checking out the pitch thread and I am going to work harder than ever to nail each pitch rock solid. So it will be awhile before I post again as I have a lot of work to do. And I want to make sure it is perfect and my vocal coach also agrees it's perfect before I post another clip.

Thank you for the insight and it is nice to hear from a great singer! So above anything else I will get this pitch under control no matter how long it takes thank you for your patience! Cheers.

@XGeneralZod,

Thank you for that update.  I was concerned I was being too blunt with you, but this is something I really want you to conquer, or I wouldn't bother going through this with you.  Fixing this will change your singing life!

I truly believe that you can whip this.  But You've GOT to.  It's NOT OPTIONAL.  This is for the WHOLE ENCHILADA!   If you can't get this right, then there's no point in going any further.

Pitch is EVERYTHING to a singer, at least to get started, because it doesn't matter how good your quality of voice is, how much style you've got, how good you might look, and any of a whole host of other things.  If your pitch is bad, then you SOUND BAD.  IT'S ABSOLUTELY the MOST IMPORTANT THING for a singer.  Everything else is secondary to accurate pitch.

I believe that pitch can be learned.  That said, because it's been an ongoing issue for you, you may have to really, really pay a lot of attention to it for some time to come, before good pitch becomes second-nature to you.  At this point, it's not second nature, and in fact it's out there in orbit somewhere.

Make me proud, XGeneralZod!  I have faith in you!  I know you can do this!

All the Best!

Bob