Home Ken Tamplin's Corner

How to sing like Chester Bennington request

I'm curious about whether this would be possible.
Chester isn't using a growl technique like death metal singers. He is
just using an extreme distortion. I would love to see a demonstration of that.
Loved Bruno Mars, Freddie Mercury and James Hetfield!

Comments

• bruno.vbruno.v Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2
    edited January 2014
    So do I, I think this is a very challenging thing because the way he sings. It seems different from the other singers.
    I really would like to see how to sing like chester, so I could know if it's possible for me to perform what he does.
  • bandband Pro Posts: 61
    Hi Bruno. I have actually found my own technique getting slightly closer to achieving that sound. Will show a little when I upload my next youtube song cover.
    My channel is called happycreativestuff.
    I think however that he might be mixing in some false chord or fry screaming for that extra bite.
  • sam.ksam.k Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 41
    edited September 2014

I believe the technique he uses is called "Fry Scream". If you search it on YouTube you can find quite a few amateur instructional videos on it. I have had some succes from the "Screaming Success" series of videos from YouTube user InvictaMusic.

Here is a link to his Fry Screaming vid

Sorry.  Can't post that here.

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited September 2014

The technique in the video is not something that is safe for your voice.  For that reason the link will not be shown on this site.

There are a lot of unsafe methods being taught on the internet.  We don't want KTVA singers to think that KTVA encourages the use of methods such as this. 

Use at your own risk.

Thanks.

Bob

• sam.ksam.k Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 41
    Do you think there are "safe" compression fry techniques, and if so does the KTVA course cover them?

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Fry is something Ken does not want to make a part of KTVA.

There is training on glottal compression, and how to safely distort, but not by using fry.

Bob

• bandband Pro Posts: 61
    1. Chester does not just use fry. He uses a very unique combination of sounds which might be a combination of fry screaming with vocal chord singing and glottal compression all together.
    2. There are fry singers who preserve their voices and fry singers who destroy their voices just like there are people who ruin their voices with glottal compression and those who use it safely.
    3.  Fry is not part of the KTVA curriculum.