Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Tonsilitis removal.

Hello I have swollen Tonsils for quite a while now. About a year or more. Furthermore I always have some mucous and a small cold is common to me now. So I am wondering if I should have my tonsils removed for the health of my singing and overall health. 

Comments

• ragnarragnar Pro Posts: 410
    edited September 2014
    You need to consult with an ENT about this rather than relying on the advice of internet strangers. For what it's worth though, I've always been prone to upper respiratory infections myself and had a tonsillectomy years ago because of a benign cyst in my throat (not singing related).
    The procedure did not affect my voice, but I don't think it did too much difference in terms of my overall health either.
    The practice of removing tonsils is somewhat controversial, since they are a one of the first lines of defense of your immune system.
    Some of the overall indications for having a tonsillectomy are in the link below, but like I said. You need to see an ENT.

http://reference.medscape.com/article/872119-overview#a03
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

@Satsu,

Ragnar's advice is spot-on.  You need to consult with medical experts regarding whether or not a tonsillectomy is advised.  You have more than one health issue going on, and you do need to seek advice and/or treatment.

When I was young, tonsillectomies were routine, and I felt left out that my sister had hers taken out, but I didn't "get to" have mine removed.  Now the procedure is not considered routine, and there should be a solid reason for any such procedure.

Get yourself checked out by good doctors, and if you're not certain, get second opinions.  Do what is best for your health first. Any lingering health issues need to be addressed through medical attention.

Get well soon!  See the Doc!

Bob

• SatsuSatsu Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 4
    Alright, thanks! I will definetly see the doc!

Keep on singing!