Home The Singer's Lobby

Starting as a singer

GeorgeMGeorgeM Enrolled Posts: 54
hello.
i'm 19 years old guy from NJ. I like art, music and acting. since i'm a very good drawer (like people say) and 3D artist, i thought i should follow this way so i can work as a 3D artist or an animator in future. 
but..the truth is.. i always wanted to be a musician who express himself by his own songs. I think there's nothing greater than put your voice into your emotions, be a good singer

.This year i'm graduating high school and ill be honest its kind of scary for me to get out there and start living on own. So yeah..
Y'know i don't think its necessary go to college to be a professional vocalist. The thing is i don't know how to get started as a singer. (I dont want to make any big mistakes in my life)
 Please give me some advice,information; n tell me about your experience.

Best Answer

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Answer ✓

You need a backup plan.  Something to fund your life while you are aspiring to be an artist, vocalist, writer, etc...

Unless, of course, you feel that the only genuine artists are the starving artists. 

Some do "make it" without starving or having to get a J.O.B. but most have to do both in order to buy time to compete for a share of the music market. 

School can be a place to learn a craft that will help to fund your musical life over the long haul. 

Pick something that pays well, so you can afford to buy good sound gear and live in an indoor environment.  Then go for your dreams while sleeping inside, out of the rain. 

I've lived on the road, and it's a lot of fun, travel, and adventure.  That said, it can come to a screeching halt when least expected.  That's where your backup plan REEEAALLY comes in handy. 

I fully encourage you to dream big and make your dreams into a reality.  It CAN happen.  But it may take longer than you think.  And for some, you may get to gig, and gig a LOT, but you may always need a more traditional income to keep a roof over your head and food in your stomach.

KTVA is a WONDERFUL place to MAXIMIZE your potential for earning decent pay for performance.  Use your KTVA knowledge in practical ways to further your musical and artistic career.  Ken does give you a lot of leads in his ProPack download information.  It IS possible to channel your energies into working on cruise ships, working for agencies, doing jingles, and so forth.

Acting is a hard job to make a living.  Selling artwork can also be a slow economy.  In the right market, singing can bring in dollars if you are producing marketable music. 

I wanted to be an animator when I grew up.  Then I was going to be a commercial artist.  Then I discovered that I was a pretty good musician, and that was more fun than any of the rest.

Later in life I discovered that SINGING was better than all of those other things combined! 

I've made some decent cash playing and singing for many years now.  I've also had to do a lot of other things that weren't as much fun as singing and playing.

I wouldn't trade the Music for all the tea in China!

Dreams were made to come true!

Bob

Answers

• TomGlanderTomGlander Pro Posts: 17
    I'm always left impressed with the replies provided by @highmtn Bob, you really pour your soul into this. I'm more sure than ever that I've made the right choice with this program. 
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

@TomGlander,

Tom,

That was very nice of you to say that.  I've been down many long roads chasing my musical dreams, and had more than my share of good times, and bad times.  I feel very fortunate to have gotten to play all of the gigs I've played, and you wouldn't believe some of the crazy places I've had to work to support myself in-between. 

When I have a person ask me about "going for broke" in music, I have to ask them if they are prepared to be broke...  Music as a business is very competitive.  If you can't dream, you probably don't belong in music, because the dreams are what drive us to succeed, but we also have to look out for ourselves and our families. 

In-between the dream sequences come the reality checks... We have to survive those so we can roll over and get back into that dream!  I feel really blessed to have been able to participate in live music for as long as I have... and it just keeps on happening for me.

I hope you are having a good ride, too, Tom!

All the Best!

Bob

• TomGlanderTomGlander Pro Posts: 17
    edited October 2014
    I guess I'm very fortunate. I haven't done anything public with singing, but have a number of videos of my piano and keyboard stuff up on the tube. Just posted this one. 

Fortunate because I have a great job where I only work 3 days per week, and make more than enough to keep the roof over my head and all payments made. The rest of the time I can dedicate to learning new things. 

So one of these days, I'll upload a video of some singing, but not for a little bit yet. I like what you wrote about all of this. It is a reality check, for sure. 

Van Halen's JUMP piano style http://youtu.be/WmERfwtp28c 
  • johnjohn johnjohn Pro Posts: 99
    @ GeorgeM:
    What Bob said!
    For the most part, I guess I fit into that 'genuine article' category.  I went for broke on my musical quest, many years ago, and I did eventually go on to achieve moderate worldwide success. However, as has been the case with a good many others traveling a similar path, lots of things went wrong along the journey, and consequently it didn't go all the way.  I'm still paying the price for not having a 'Plan B' if you will, both financially and emotionally, to this day  Even so, quitting is not an option, and whilst attaining stardom is no longer a realistic part of my goal, my dream is most definitely not over.  After decades of hard work, and a lot of heartache, etc., good things are finally happening for me again.  That being said, my advice is, yes, keep your dreams alive by all means, but do have that back-up plan - day job or whatever - firmly in place!!!!

All the very best of luck to you with everything.

John