Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Is Tom Jones a good example of singing technique?

I am a huge fan of Tom Jones' singing, as cheesy as much of his repertoire is, but the man is kind of a proto-Ken Tamplin in terms of his range, control and general vocal ability. I notice on songs where he has to sing really high phrases, he sings pretty light and bright on his low notes, but when he sores up high, he always hits the notes from above and can control it amazingly. I've never heard any singer like him. He is a lowish baritone who can hit sustained Pavarotti-ish high C's and even high D's with vibrato! He is pretty old now and his peak was arguably from the mid-sixties to the early 70's, but what a voice. Definitely one of the greatest voices ever in the age of recorded music.

My question though, is whether he is a good example of vocal technique to emulate? He seems kind of like a bel-cantoish pop rock singer, kinda like a low baritone Ronnie James Dio on some of his songs.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    I like Tom Jones' work as well.  He is someone with a great tone and a lot of range, in my opinion. 
  • JosephJoseph Pro Posts: 260
    I must admit, historically I really didn't like Tom Jones at all, but after starting with KTVA my singer preferences and opinions have changed markedly. We had a Xmas breakup party at a restaurant that showed one of Tom's recent concerts. He sang for 3 hours. I mean he SANG. Age 60s or later. Still does like 200+ shows every year. Amazing. Respect!
  • johnjohn johnjohn Pro Posts: 99
    I've always loved Tom, right from the get go.  He's still awesome imho, and can rock out with the best!  :-)
  • matt53matt53 Pro Posts: 189
    It's a pity he was never a rock singer. He could sing in Robert Plant's range and still can sing alot stronger and better than Plant can nowadays. It would be interesting to hear him release an album of Led Zeppelin songs.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Now THAT is an album I'd like to see!

@ Bob: Speaking of an album you'd like to see.  Do you happen to recall that CD Pat Boone made, several decades ago, where he sang a whole lot of heavy repertoire, including AC/DC's It'a A Long Way To The Top. ???  (Though not in the same key!  LOL!)  I kid you not!  

;-)
    edited October 2014

NO, @johnjohn!  I've never heard of that one, either!  Pat Boone and AC/DC is one combination I've never dreamed of!  Ha, ha!  : ^ )

Bob

• rcrosierrcrosier Pro Posts: 275
    I remember that... If I'm not mistaken, he took some heat for doing it, too... but I can't say I ever heard any of them.
    @ Bob & rcrosier: I just now dug it out the CD, a promo copy someone gave me.
    As follows: PAT BOONE - IN A METAL MOOD - NO MORE MR. NICE GUY
    It's on Hip-O Records, a subsidiary of MCA and was released in 1997.
    Boasts a whole load of well-known, respected musicians, and comprehensive liner notes.
    Track Listing:

1) YOU'VE GOT ANOTHER THING COMIN'
      2) SMOKE ON THE WATER
      3) IT'S A LONG WAY TO THE TOP (IF YOU WANNA ROCK 'N' ROLL)
      4) PANAMA
      5) NO MORE MR. NICE GUY
      6) LOVE HURTS
      7) ENTER SANDMAN
      8) HOLY DIVER
      9) PARADISE CITY
    10) THE WIND CRIES MARY
    11) CRAZY TRAIN
    12) STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN

Shows a pic of him on the front cover where he's sporting an earring in his right ear lobe, and a chain around his neck.  The rear has him sitting on what looks to be a Harley Davidson.
    I actually attended a party here in LA that he was at one time.  All rather surreal, but interesting stuff.

Anyway, MCA is now Universal, I believe, so the disc is probably history, but you may be able to snag a copy in a bargain bin somewhere, or Amazon perhaps.  

:-)

John

@rcrosier and @johnjohn, I had the (mis)fortune to hear his album of hard rock covers. He basically sounded like a cheesy karaoke singer singing along to Stairway to Heaven and AC/DC an octave lower. Pretty funny though xD
    @ matt53: It's kind of like you know it's wrong, but curiosity gets the better of you and you just have to take a listen!  LOL!
    Lol yeah I was curious to see if he'd actually belt it out in the original key but nope. I was disappointed but not surprised.
    Haha!  I recall wondering that too, but in all honesty wasn't really expecting that to be the case.  ;-)