Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Some Advice Please

Hello All!!

I have not been around in a while or been doing my program, but I will be starting again.

I am having vocal issues. I had a gig and stressed myself out with nerves which meant I pushed my voice more to hit the notes. I felt comfortable but a few days later, the soft palette felt sore, which then turned into an infection just at the nasal passage. Then it spread down my throat affecting my voice when singing. My throat became closed and every time I swallowed (this is the best description i can give) it felt velcro being pulled apart. Now I feel better, but some of my chest voice notes are weak around a B5, Bb5 to C5.

I felt stronger in y voice today and tried to sing out some Iron maiden's Fear of the dark, which went well and the infection helped give me the edge to my vocals. But even belting our the word "fear" was a struggle when it normally isnt. Now when I sing a note at about B5 there is a rasp on it and the note blips a few times when holding it.

So what I am wondering is, What can I do to make a speedy recovery apart from resting it? Also any tips on singing iron maiden would be great. :P

Thanks

Jamie.

Comments

• Ken TamplinKen Tamplin Administrator, Moderator Posts: 446
    Hi Jaime. First off your soft palate was not sore because of your training as you probably can imagine it was an infection that was already starting in your throat. As evidenced by your description of how it proceeded through your throat etc. There is no real way to inflame the soft palate unless you're doing some crazy screen core thing which you shouldn't be doing anyway :-) I always encourage people to sing through colds and flu with the exception of a throat infection or bronchitis. You first need to get past the infection to remove inflammation so that you can get good cord closure. I would strongly not recommend encouraging a distorted sound especially when you're using swollen vocal folds to get that kind of compression. Let's get you well first and then back on a good training habit/pattern before attempting to put too much stress on your cords right now. My apologies if there are bizarre word substitutions is I am responding with Siri voice command
  • JamieHJamieH Pro Posts: 71
    edited October 2014
    Hey Ken. I must say it is an honour to receive an answer from you :)

I agree with the cord closer. I definitely feel that there is not enough cord closure, but is there anything I can do right now to help with that, or just rest?

I was not encouraging any sort of distortion, but that is the sound that was produced because of my infection. I always get scared when I have a rasp/distortion on my notes without putting it on myself. This always leads me to thinking I have damaged myself in some way. I know in myself when to stop, and right now is that time or I will do damage. I just hate not singing.

Again thanks for taking time out to reply, its great to read from you! :)

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

So, @JamieH, to recap, in your case, since this is related to a throat infection, you need vocal rest until you are over the infection.

Bob

Right No problem! :) thanks Highmtn
  • Ken TamplinKen Tamplin Administrator, Moderator Posts: 446
    what are you doing for your throat infection?

I didnt want to take antibiotics for it :/ So I used vocal zones, chinese herbal remedy in hot water, which was great. Soothers and lockets, Bee Propolis in warm water and drunk plenty of hot water. I also steamed my voice. My throat seems fine now, just got some Mucous that wont budge just yet.