Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

How to Sing/How to Belt? Is it Shouting, or is it Singing with a BIG VOICE?

highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

I see comments labeling singers with "Big Voices" as "Shouting."   This is a new distraction to take the focus off of those that don't know how to grow a big voice. 

Would people use this term to classify Pavarotti, Whitney Houston, Chris Cornell, Steve Perry, Christina Aguilera, Dio, Mariah Carey, Paul Rodgers, Freddie Mercury, Aretha Franklin, Celine Dion, Pat Benatar, Barbra Streisand, Tom Jones, Patti LaBelle, Placido Domingo, Michael Bolton, Bryan Adams, John Fogerty, Maria Callas, (KenTamplin ha ha) as "shouting"?

That's just a plain silly diversion. (not that there aren't singers that just yell from the throat)

A well-trained big voice can pull back and sing lighter, but a small voice cannot open up to a big sound.

Someone that can lift 100 pounds can easily lift 10 pounds.  But someone that can only lift 10 pounds cannot lift 100.

So it is with the voice.  

Comments

• JoyceJoyce Pro Posts: 131
    edited October 2014
    Hello Highmtn,
    Interesting that you mention this.

As it appears that some of my singing friend don't like big voices, they prefer soft and moderage voices and that, because they themselves can't sing high!!

That being said, I have noticed that my voice sounds big and loud on the high register but I was still struggling to get the same robust and round sound on my lower notes (since my low notes are as important as my high notes).

I started to train with the Dudes audio work out last month and I am already hearing the difference ...
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Yes, @joyce.  We have Dudes trainging their high range with Divas exercises and Divas training their low range with Dudes exercises, and it's all good! 

People that aren't trained in belting often want to characterize it as bad.  It must be bad if they can't do it, right? 

The thing is that we can do our exercises softly and train our lighter voices as well.  No problem.  But a person that only sings softly cannot turn around and use a voice that they haven't built.  They simply won't have the stamina. 

I use both sets of exercises, depending on what part of my voice I want to work on.  The very top of the Divas scales is not that well-suited for my voice, but it does give me a good stretch.  I can lay out on those if I want to, or I can stretch if I want to.  My meat and potatoes exercises are in the Dudes Volume 3.

To each, his or her own.  I'm glad we have the option with KTVA to choose and use what suits us best.

Bob