Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

The Day of a gig or performance

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
  • ragnarragnar Pro Posts: 410
    Maybe he realised he was late for the gig today.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

That's happened to me before...

er, Gotta go!

; ^ )

• johnjohn johnjohn Pro Posts: 99
    Maybe it's a Zen kind of thing, ie: On the day of a performance, do nothing.  Just let whatever's going to happen.., happen!  LOL!
    edited November 2014
    "Nothing is what I want...  A true Zen saying. " Frank Zappa
  • lppageguitarlppageguitar Pro Posts: 16
    HAhaha!  Sorry guys the post didn't go through for some reason.  I'm a noob at this forum so my apologies.  I do actually practice Zen, which I found really freakin' funny when I read this!

Heres my question:

What kind of warmup have you guys found beneficial the day of a gig or performance?  I find the Stage 2 Vocal workout to be way to much and I don't have enough left in the tank for the performance.

Any suggestions?

Ha ha... too funny! 

As to the warmup on gig day, you need to tailor something that suits your present stamina and how much you want to reserve for the performance.

You do want to get as fully warmed-up as you can before you go onstage.  You don't, however, want to wear your voice out.  As you build more stamina, the Volume 2 workout is used by many, and may work out for you later. 

In the meantime, just do maybe the first half.  You could do down through exercise #12, stopping just before you start to do the chest-stretching exercises that begin after the instructions on track 13.

Your very minimum emergency exercise could be the Burbles, the Tongue exercises, and then at least the LAH arpeggios.  That's not much, but it's better than going onstage stone-cold. 

I do the first half of Volume Three on gig day, stopping short of the stretching exercises. 

Bob

• rcrosierrcrosier Pro Posts: 275
    Because I'm still new to all the lessons and warmups, I did up a set of volume one tracks that contain 11 tracks including:
    1. Lip rolls 1-3-5-8-5-3-1
    2. Lip rolls full scale.
    3. Tongue Exercise 1-3-5-8-5-3-1
    4. Tongue full scale
    5. Lah 1-3-5-8-5-3-1
    6. Lah full scale
    7. Laa  1-3-5-8-5-3-1
    8. Laa-Lah full scale
    9. Eee  1-3-5-8-5-3-1
    10. Eee full scale
    11. Lah long scale.
    I use this on my phone, to take with me in my car, and want to practice, if I cannot practice at home.

On a gig day, it's perfect for me at this stage, to do tracks 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and if I'm feeling well, I throw in one of the full scales, like the Lah full scale.

It's been working out really well for me to warm up on a gig day without straining me too much.

Hope this is helpful!

• lppageguitarlppageguitar Pro Posts: 16
    Thanks guys!

Yeah I guess its a tailoring sort of thing and something you work out through your own experience (to add a Zen metaphor! ;) ).

Will try the first half of volume two and see how that works out!

Conner