Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Have a listen

JamieHJamieH Pro Posts: 71
Hey all :)

Thanks for stopping by and hopefully listening to me. I would like to say, this was recorded with a throat infection that was wearing off, but any feed back on this would be great :) I have trained with teachers and gone to college for singing and put a lot of hard work into my vocals. It was only last year that I got Ken's program and used it for a few weeks then stopped, but I continued to develop with a teachers away from that, but still use the vowel modifications taught to help my singing. I am now going to fully finish this program, but would still like some feed back on this.

Again thanks for stopping by :)

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

@JamieH,

I got this message when I followed your link:

That page is not available, please try again.

• JamieHJamieH Pro Posts: 71
    @highmtn

Thanks for pointing that out. I have fixed it and the right link is there :) 
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

@JamieH,

Nice job.  I wouldn't have known you were having problems with a throat infection.

You keep your vocal tract open very well.  Your support is good.  Nice tone.  Good intonation.  I look forward to hearing you again when you have worked Ken's program to the max.  You'll be sounding even better and stronger!

All the Best!

Bob

@highmtn

I never really think about keeping the vocal tract open, I know about it and could do it well, or maybe its just because I am concious of my vowels a lot. But thanks for pointing that out.

You will definitely hear me around here when working with the program. I did do it for a few weeks and took so much away from it, the vowel mods really helped so much in my singing.. Its amazing what a few weeks can do from Ken's technique.
    @highmtn

this was lowered down by a tone for me i think, which I hate doing, I can sorta get through it in original key but the infection would not allow it. So some of my range did fail me as I normally sing higher than this :P

How can you tell I am keeping the vocal tract open well?

You have a big, round tone that is uninterrupted for the most part as you glide past your consonants.

The goal in open throat singing is to maximize vowels and minimize consonants, as the consonants tend to close down the vocal tract.  We may forget to open it back up, and every time it closes down, we have to work to get it open again. 

I noticed in your track that you are doing a good job of maintaining a clear and open vocal tract, which is a good thing.

Bob

@highmtn Oh wow, thanks for noticing that!! I find it great that you can pick out that I am doing that. Sometimes I do not feel like I am having a big round tone or using open throat. I can manage open throat well until I want to belt. I have a good belt voice but certain words are hard for me to hit!!

I was hoping you could help me with something. Can you please analyse this singer for me and let me know what he is using in terms of chest and mixed voice and what sort of compression/distortion he is using?

The first video, Livin on the Run, is using an airy chest voice, then a belted mix.  The distortion sounds like it may be a safe compressed distortion, just enough to sound good, but not overdone.  A little chesty head-mix voice in the bridge.

The second video runs through the various modes faster.  Chest at first, then straight into belting mix. Chorus is chest, heady mix at the end of the choruses, bridge is belted.  Lots of compression on the emphasized parts. 

The compression is just super-support holding back the breath while belting out the notes. The distortion is continuing to compress while lightly distressing the cords just enough to detect it.

Good vocalist, good band, good songs.  

Bob

@highmtn

thanks for this. I am good at picking out what people are doing with their voice but he had me stumped for a while. Thanks for clearing this up for me. I hope to try some of this bands songs with my own band.

If you have the time, would you be able to take a listen to one of my originals? I would like to know what you think I could do to improve it. I know the vowels might need some working. Also, you will get to hear my range toward the end of the song which would be nice to get feed back on. Sorry that it is 7 minutes long. :/ And its only two chords throughout. The challenge for me was to be able to improvise and use my emotion to make a two chord song interesting vocally.

thanks

It's a long time to listen to a two-chord song, but it's a good exercise to work on improvisations.

You have a nice tone to your voice and a good span of range.  I believe you were doing a G5 in head voice somewhere around 5:30 or so.

Your support seemed sufficient, and you were in a melancholy space that fits the theme of the song.  After all, they never tried!

To improve the song, you could easily put just a little more chordal movement in it, or change some of the instrumentation as the vocals develop, build it up orchestrally, then break it back down.  That's all your call. 

Nice demo.  Good to hear your voice.

Bob

@highmtnThanks for taking time out to listen to it , I know its long for a listen :P

I thank you for your advice, I do plan on making this into a full song with more movement, melody changes. I just need to find  the right people to work with.

Oh, a G5 in head voice? Is that good? where should a G5 be placed?

Most people will do a G5 in head voice.