Home Ken Tamplin's Corner

Allergy tricks?

voodoovoodoo Pro Posts: 250
edited April 2012 in Ken Tamplin's Corner
Hi Ken (Happy Easter!), I always dread allergy season (April through June for me) as I get congestion, nasal drip, mucus etc.  I have historically had to make set lists easier during this time, and with the pollens now unleashed I am taking longer to warm up with some initial "gravel" around the vowel mods.  By the end of workout I am usually very close to or at "normal", it's just taking longer.  Would you have any suggestions/ exercises to help clean off the chords, etc.?  Thanks!

Best Answer

• Ken TamplinKen Tamplin Administrator, Moderator Posts: 446
    Answer ✓

I wish I could give you an easy answer to this but the very best thing you can do is take longer and warm up lighter prior to singing.

Post nasal causes the cords to get "thick".

You DON'T want to continuously "clear" your throat as this will create a viscious cycle of the cords allowing more mucous (to protect themselves thinking they need to stay moist) and you clearing out the Gack.

Warm up gently and easily.

Unfortunately sometimes your warm-ups can take up to twice as long (because you find you need to wait for a couple seconds between certain scales) but the good news is that you will find when you do this you will be at 90+ percent.

I know it sounds crazy to tell someone singing longer is better, but it actually is in this situation.

Answers