Home The Singer's Lobby

Sing like How you "TALK"

People have told me to sing like how I talk. So couple of times now I have done song by making it sound like my talking voice, which sound terrible!  I don't know if i interpreted it wrongly but can someone please explain this clearly to me? Thanks

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Yes.  These people are feeding you a line of BULL-XXXX.

It's a gimmick you've already spent money on that you have said did not work.

There are an infinite number of differences in singing and speaking.  There are some similarities, but that is not what you are looking for.

Bob

• saliho44saliho44 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks so much Bob @highmtn you are the man!! I can't wait to get the program this spring or summer, i'm just sorry for myself that I didn't find it sooner! And also about the accent i'm going to be taking accent reduction therapy starting next week, will let you know how that work out. In the coming days I will post a demos of a song i've been working on! Thanks again, you rock! 
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
  • johnjohn johnjohn Pro Posts: 99
    @saliho4: I totally agree with Bob.  One analogy I use with reference to the misplaced logic of the 'sing like you talk' concept, is to compare it (talking/singing) to walking and running.  Most able-bodied individuals can walk without thinking too much about the activity, however, that being the case, doesn't mean they would all be natural born runners!  Sure, the average person not used to running, might be able to jog for a few hundred yards or so, but if they were to step up the pace and push on for a longer distance, I'll bet most of them would tire out real fast, or risk causing themselves physical injury.  If this wasn't the reality, then why do folks - serious about their running/singing - train on a regular basis?  And if indeed both good singing and running technique were truly as easy as talking and walking, then there would be no need for KTVA.  Long live Ken! 

(By way of irony, now I need to go back to basics, and apply what I've learned about good singing technique, to my speaking voice!)

Cheers,

John