Home Off Topic
Options

using a chromatic tuner

genebradleygenebradley Enrolled Posts: 3
hi all,  any body use a chromatic tuner to check pitch  what have you found. My experience is consistently flat, kinda depressing in fact the oo vowels are the worst.  So any experiences you can

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,358
    Analyzing the voice is often depressing, because what sounds good, can often look pretty bad on a meter.  It's quite hard to hold notes on a clinically-perfect frequency.  Your pitch does have to be very close in order for it to sound good, but it's common to have the voice a few cyles flat or sharp, without it being detectable to the ear.  

It's good to face reality to see how close your pitch is, but don't get too hung up if it's not absolutely perfect. Listen to it, and if it sounds good and accurate, that's what you want. 

If it's way off, you may need to do some pitch-training exercises and training.

Bob
  • Options
    genebradleygenebradley Enrolled Posts: 3
    hi Bob, thanks what I find most interesting is different vowels pitch differently.  E and A are pretty close, o and uoos are much flatter , AHS are just a touch flatter.  Working with it today it seems less daunting, i think the trick is to use it as a guide.  Part of the learning exper
  • Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,358
    As long as you don't beat yourself up for not being a machine that works with total perfection, there is nothing wrong with using tuning programs and devices as informational guides. 

Some students become fixated on how "bad" they must be because their A4 drifts between 439 cycles per second and 441, instead of a steady 440.  Your ear probably can't hear that difference and neither can the audience.

Interesting the difference you find in your vowels, but then some students have more tension on different vowels than other students do, so others might have opposite results.  It's good to get to know the facts about your voice, as long as you don't let that information worry you.

Bob