Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Air Conditioning

Getting to the summer here in the UK and some venues/pubs are starting to use the air con. Had a show on Saturday night, felt great before the gig, did volume 2 warm up no trouble, 2nd song into the gig I could barely speak as I was so dry. 

Done some research and seen that air con can have an affect but anyone got any solid facts, experience and tips to overcome/compensate for this?

Thanks

Phil

Comments

• @philmaher , ;

The artificial air could dry your vocal cords.

My advice would be to keep a lot of fresh water near you.

My practice room in which I usually practice with my band has ariticial air to cool and dehumidify the room, but I've never had any problems. I have my fresh water always very close to me.

My two cents,mate

Cheers!
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    All summer you have to be sure to hydrate well.  It's true in the winter as well, when everyone is running heaters that also dry out the air. 

Be sure to cut back the air, since excessive air is the enemy of the voice and will speed up the drying effects.  

Also remember that you have to be drinking water before you notice that you're thirsty.  It takes a while for water that you drink to have much effect on your cords.  

Avoid diuretic drinks.  Coffee, soda drinks, tea, alcohol... all of those cause you to lose more liquid than you drink.  

Bob