Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Nothin but a Good Time-Poison Demo

streeterstreeter Pro Posts: 679
Hey Fellow KTVAers,

Got 2 new plugins from Waves, So I thought I'd cut a new demo to try them out.

Vox, BV's and Guitar is all me, Backing track is from Guitar Techniques I think.

This is coming out of a cold BTW... I say this not to make excuses but to demonstrate how Ken's Technique can get you through even if you are congested. 

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Nice sound on your voice, @streeter.  Nice consistency, fits the song well. 

Good sound on the recording and mix.

Bob
  • streeterstreeter Pro Posts: 679
    edited July 2015
    Thanks @highmtn, yeah I think I'm getting better at Mixing. @philmaher has really inspired me to lift my game in that department. Still doing it on the cheap having bass, drums and keys pre-recorded but still getting a pretty decent result. I can still hear things I can improve in terms of keeping the vocal tract a little more open throughout the phrases. I think it's a combination of having those notes comfortable and in doing so I get a little lazy and over enunciate some consonants rather than really sing through the vowels. The other thing is... I tried singing this tune at about 4 months in, so there still might be some bad habit carry-over. Oddly, I felt freer on the harmonies (a fourth up) Which I hadn't sung before, yet I was consistent enough to sing them 4 consecutive times (recorded) with no issue (notes being Ab4, Bb4 and C5). Hence why I think it's a habit issue regarding the original melody. I'm rambling... Wimbledon is on and it's 1 in the am in Aus.
    Anyway... That's enough self analysis. I thinks it's possible to go a little overboard with it and either get disabled by it or sound totally contrived. Neither of which are a desireable result... 'Shut up and sing your ass off'
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
  • AnaamAnaam Pro Posts: 45
    Wow! very nice! If I didn't know, I would think it was david lee roth! the tone of voice is very similar - hands down this is singing on a level the esteemed mr. lee roth could and will never do! in my opinion only.... :)
    edited July 2015
    @Anaam, that's awesome, thanks dude.. Contrary to popular opinion I absolutely love D.L.R's swagger and tone. HAHAHA. Is he an amazing singer... God no. But there is something there and it's a good time party tone... Steve Perry he is not, but he and Van Halen are the sole reason millions have started a band. Loved the Swagger and absolute decadence of the 80's L.A rock scene. My inner jazz snob hates me for this. Once I'm completely over this bug I plan on putting together a Demo of 'Jump'.
  • AnaamAnaam Pro Posts: 45
    yeah there's another dude on here I just heard his Jump version - nice! A bit too much on the pop side of vocals for my liking but a fantastic effort - well done to him.
    I'm not a DLR hater as such, in fact Jump is one of ALL TIME FAV. songs! thats about it with DLR era....then its Sammy hagar the REAL legend all the way for me!

you should def do Jump - show DLR how it's done mate! ;)

edited August 2016
    Thanks @Anaam, Sammy will always be the superior singer and musician but for me (as a guitar player as well) VH1 is one of those perfect albums, where I never have to skip a song. Thriller, The Black Album and Appetite for Destruction have that same X Factor as well. There's a few other as well. It's like the stars align on certain moments and are just Magic caught in a studio. VH1 VH2 and 1984 just combine everything that's awesome about that era of music for me. DLR was the ring leader.