Home Ken Tamplin's Corner

How to sing like..

Hello Ken,

I know you are a busy man, but it would be great if you could see this and maybe reply.

I have watched your "how to sing like" on youtube and I was wondering you would doing any "screamer" singer types particularly like Chester Bennington (Linkin Park).
I like his singing very much and his scream is so good that make the listener enjoyed it and didn't make them headache.

And I have a question. Is it okay to try to scream like him? Somehow I found the way to scream like him but less powerful.
oh btw I purchased your program and on volume 1 right now.

Thank you
NB: sorry for bad english. English is not native

Comments

• ragnarragnar Pro Posts: 410
    edited February 2015
    Ken doesn't do or advocate full on "screamer" singing. Listen to Ken's cover of Soundgarden's "Show Me How To Live + Cochise". That demonstrates the most extreme type of distortion KTVA teaches.
    The big difference being that Ken bases his rasp/distortion on massive hyper glottal compression, while screamers usually do some sort involvement of the vestibular folds (also called ventricular folds, false vocal folds).
  • JackPhantomJackPhantom Pro Posts: 17
    Thank you for the reply ragnar.
    I see. So it is different approach with ktva teach, isn't it?
    so should I avoid "scream" way of singing if I want to success with ktva program?
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

@JackPhantom,

Take your time as you progress through the KTVA material. 

Screaming is a way to hurt your voice if you don't know what you're doing.  In Volume 3, after you have built a strong foundation for your voice and learned to sing properly, you will learn how to do safe modes of vocal distortion.  Trying to do vocal distortion improperly, without first learning how to protect your voice, would be something to avoid.

Follow Ken's instructions in the videos, and on the vocal workout mp3's.  Stay with the program.  Don't rush ahead.  Spend enough time on each part of the program to give your voice enough time to grow and strengthen.  You'll get to the parts on distortion when you have put in enough time learning the basics.

That will be much better for your voice in the long run!

Bob

@bob: Okay thank you Bob.
  • seekerseeker Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 83
    Chester bennington does fry screaming, I learned how to do it myself, took me a while, like about a year to get the basics, it's very gentle and does not require pushing too much air, it's nothing like screaming in fact.
    It's about getting that cracking fry sound and making it consistent with enough air, keeping the back of the throat open, I can hold it for like 30 seconds if I wanted.
    I just recently found a place to practice and I'll be getting back to the program :D can't wait to keep getting better and better and of course... the distortion & belting!
    Gonna be fun!
    @seeker: thanks man, I did my research about fry screaming. I guess you are right. So when you able to do it, can you still sing light singing? I mean like pop and jazz

@seeker: thanks man, I did my research about fry screaming. I guess you are right. So when you able to do it, can you still sing light singing? I mean like pop and jazz
    Yeah, it doesn't hurt the voice much, Chester is sometimes exhausted but recently he's just fine :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5TVHVg3K48 Skip to 0:44 he can sing lightly easily again and he can sing just fine, for some reason he doesn't modify to the EE vowel on "skin" anymore.
    You can hear him hitting some solid notes still, I can't argue the fact he had weakened the intensity of his voice, he sings rather different than he did in 2001, he doesn't distort as much.
    Still a great vocalist, probably would have been way better as well with some ken tamplin vocal training still XD
    I'll do my best with his teachings and I'll keep you posted.

seeker said:
    Yeah, it doesn't hurt the voice much, Chester is sometimes exhausted but recently he's just fine :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5TVHVg3K48 Skip to 0:44 he can sing lightly easily again and he can sing just fine, for some reason he doesn't modify to the EE vowel on "skin" anymore.
    You can hear him hitting some solid notes still, I can't argue the fact he had weakened the intensity of his voice, he sings rather different than he did in 2001, he doesn't distort as much.
    Still a great vocalist, probably would have been way better as well with some ken tamplin vocal training still XD

yeah man, let's fight this. Just be careful to not harm our voice. I don't know why, but both M.Shadow and Chester Bennington had vocal cord surgery once.

seeker said:

yeah man, let's fight this. Just be careful to not harm our voice. I don't know why, but both M.Shadow and Chester Bennington had vocal cord surgery once.

Chester Bennington never ever had a vocal surgery, he confirmed that on twitter some time. you can google it.