Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Back to Health and back to singing

Just wanted to report in that my digestive track is doing much better and I'm ok to start singing again!

I did my vocal workout today for the first time in a month....Holy Cow Atrophy..... I lost half an octave on my chest voice! UGH...oh well...back to the grind.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    @cgglyde

Glad to hear you're in better health.

Give yourself a little time, and you'll be back in shape. You'll probably notice some things have improved by themselves while you were on vocal rest. Your mind keeps processing things even when your voice is on vacation.

When you get back in physical vocal shape, as well, you will be back in the game.

Bob
  • cgglydecgglyde Pro Posts: 109
    @highmtn

Thanks Bob,

Yeah I need some major work on the application of my support on songs though...that thing just disappeared....Oh well I'll get it back!
    @highmtn
    Update with my voice:

Still very atrophied....Having trouble with G# these days...which sucks cause I haven't had trouble with that note in about a year and a half.... Thought I would bounce back faster then I am..I guess taking a month off really does some damage...Suggestions or advice welcome
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    If you are doing Volume 3 workouts every day, you should be getting that G# back in shape in very little time. Just find that support. Without it, G# is a bust.
    Yeah I want my B4 back.....but I'll be patient
    Thanks Bob, I will continue to update
    @highmtn

Vocal range is back up to A#4.....and strength is returning...

I now notice the continual progress even if you stop Bob because my A#4 is even smoother then it was before!
    Yes, your body and your brain both know that you have been working in this direction, and they are following your commands to grow. Taking the break gave them a while to do their thing without your interference or impatience. : ^ )

That is no reason to stop practicing, though just to intentionally take a break. We will all have enough situations that come along to interfere with our ability to keep up our practice schedule, and you find that when you resume, that the resumption of intensified practice will accelerate your progress on top of the changes that happened while you took your vocal rest.

So we take it as it comes, and press onward, in a safe and regular manner, when we are able to resume our daily practice when our health or our life-schedules allow.

Bob
  • johnjohn johnjohn Pro Posts: 99
    @ cgglyde: I've had similar issues after having to take over 3 months off from my daily practice routine, due to a major illness. Like you, I thought I'd be back up to speed much faster than appears to be the case. Right now I'm still struggling after well over a month of daily, diligent, practicing. I hope I can get back to where I was when I had to leave off!

Good luck to you,

John
    edited September 2015
    @highmtn

So that C5 note I have struggled to get with chest voice now for about half a year came rather easily today....breaks are awesome...not only did I hit it, but there was no tension either...

I still don't think it's 100% applicable yet, but I'm getting close......I might even be able to go a bit higher now!
    @cgglyde,

All your work up to this point is coming in very handy. Even after you had to lay off for a while, due to your health condition, you are reaping the benefits of the work you did previously, plus a new dedication to practicing and moving forward.

Congratulations on reaching the much-sought-after C5. It sprouts as a little seedling, and with time grows until it becomes hints of a C#5 seedling...

All the Best!

Bob
    YEAH C#5.....that would be great