Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Quite crackling sound and lack of control at low volume

Hey there!

I'm pretty new to the KTVA and am experiencing a lack of control and a crackling sound appearing in my voice while working through the scales quietly. I'm using a mirror and am keeping my throat open while being mindful of breathing and posture, but it I have very little control at times especially at low volume. I was wondering, is there something I'm doing wrong? Or is just a case of slowing the scales down and persisting through these initial stages until everything gets stronger?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Let us hear a demo of you and the crackling sound. Video would be best. We can only guess, otherwise, and we could guess totally wrong, simply by not hearing and seeing what you are doing.

Lack of control is often a matter of insufficient breath support. The crackling sound may be a rattle of having the tongue too close to the back of the throat, or something similar. Let us hear what is happening.

Thanks.

Bob
  • I cracked when singing low volume before. It's like I sacrified control for singing light and thus the crackling appered. For me I just had to find a balance between singing it softer and control. I guess you want both.

That helped me.
  • mkain543mkain543 Member Posts: 2
    I just tried doing the exercises again with the breath in mind allowing myself a bit more volume and there was a noticeable difference.
    Bob, I'll make a quick video asap and post it for you to see what you think.

Thanks for the help!

Marcus
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Thanks. We will see what's up when your video is posted.

Bob