Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Males, have you been able to significantly increase your chest range?

Limit of my chest range is F#4 and I can go up to a G5 in head voice. Head voice sounds very whiny though, and I have no interest in using it by itself or "mixed". Don't want to sound like Sponge Bob. I haven't done any exercises in the past, but I've seen "pro vocal coaches" demonstrate "resonant and bright mixed voice that you can unlock" but to be honest it still sounds pretty bad. Nothing like Paul McCartney or Robert Plant would sound. Ken Tamplin would be an exception as he does high notes in proper chest voice.
Anyway, has anyone actually been able to increase their chest range as much as Ken claims he has (F#4 to over E5)? I can't stress enough I'm not interested in any kind of head or mix voice.

Comments

• Options
    streeterstreeter Pro Posts: 679
    edited October 2015
    Yes... It takes a lot of work but the course is methodically set out to achieve this. By the time you hit Vol.3, the 3rd exercise (of 17) is already taking you up to a full voiced chest B4. This takes a lot of time and commitment though. All the techniques are laid out on a silver platter but you still need the time to develope the strength and agility.

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    edited October 2015
    Not every student will make it to E5 or higher in full chest, but if they follow the course correctly, they will significantly increase their full chest range. Some may not make it to C5, but many do. Ken did not achieve his range in a short time. He has been working his voice and growing it for a long time.

Your progress will be in direct proportion to the focused time, practice, effort, and attention you put into properly implementing what Ken teaches. You will have your own physical limitations, and there will be limits on how much you are willing to practice and work your voice. Within those limitations, Ken's methods will take your voice further up the scale in chest voice than any other singing method, anywhere. It will take you further than you may think you are capable of going. It will take you to the very limits of your physical capabilities.

It's a lot of work. You need a strong work ethic to achieve what you say you want. The KTVA methods are effective. You have to do the work.

Kens course will unlock all of the potential that lives inside of you. No other course will take you as far towards that ultimate limit. You will never discover how far you can take your voice without the guidance provided in Ken's course.

Join us. You'll see.

All the Best.

Bob
  • Options
    SemiSemi Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 153
    edited October 2015
    Hi @koliko987,

as a baritone, when I started doing the course three years ago, I struggled at F#4. My top chest notes were G4, G#4 on best days, but it sounded like my throat is gonna explode and I cracked on this notes mostly. After months and months of stretching my chest voice, following the instructions, I`m able to sing E5 in full voice pretty consistently, and maintain a lot of chesty sound up to the B5.

I`m still working on this:

I love Steve Perry`s voice and Journey stuff, hope one day I`ll be able to sing in this range effortless, as he does: