Home Recording Techniques and Gear

Recording advice.

Hi guys! Just need a lil' info on recording. So I tried to record a song a couple of days ago. I use garageband and a $100 portable mic called the ZOOM H2n. So I hit record and sang the whole thing with the music at the background. I thought I sounded pretty okay when I was listening to myself while recording (garageband has this button that allows you to hear yourself through the headphones while you sing into the mic). However, when I listened to the playback, it turned out that my vocal track was kind of sticking out from the music track, if you know what I mean. You could clearly tell that the music was playing at the back whereas the music was really in your face. If this to do with the way I sing or is there something that should be done with the recording equipment or software?

Comments

• streeterstreeter Pro Posts: 679
    edited November 2015
    If you have garage band just import an MP3 karaoke track and sing over that. That way you can control the volume of both tracks.
  • EdgeJayEdgeJay Pro Posts: 21
    Yeah I tried messing with the volume levels but it didn't exactly come out the great. Is there a way that one could sort of "blend" the vocal track into the music track better?
  • streeterstreeter Pro Posts: 679
    I'm not sure what plugins garage band comes with but if there is some sort of stereo spreader, an EQ and compressor all that helps. Applying the stereo spreader to the MP3 should make it feel as though it wraps around the vocals more, EQ to work the bass and treble frequencies of said track and a compressor will make it louder. Mixing is an art unto itself.