"Two beds & A Coffee Machine" - Vocal Demonstration

jayjay Enrolled Posts: 32
hi all,

I "found" my softer voice today :-)

I've just uploaded this file https://www.box.com/s/15981859aea2c70dcb5c

please take a listen and let me know what you think

Comments

• sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    Nice work!  Its tough to sing quietly in that range, and yet still keep a full tone.  A great example of mid voice.  Is that an original tune?
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Nice work, Jay!

Very pleasant to listen to.

Bob

• jayjay Enrolled Posts: 32
    Hey Scott @sspatrick

Thanks for the comment, yeah I've always been the full out singer and use to much breath and dry out the chords kinda singer, I didn't know this song very well just that it was pitched mid voice and soft, so thought I'd try it and I'm reasonably happy with the results.

Unfortunately i cant claim this track - it's a Savage Garden album track 

• jayjay Enrolled Posts: 32
    Hi Bob @highmtn

thank you very much, its pretty simple but I think it works

PS - I'm very curious to here you do a sample of "Open Arms" I know its one of your practice tunes :-)
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Jay,

I don't want to horrify the world with me doing Open Arms.  I have several tunes that are a real stretch for me. That's why I use them for practice/drill...  I do want to get to the point where I perform it publicly, but I don't think I'm there yet.  The notes are comfortable for me, but I'm not so sure about the tone. 

I actually haven't had a chance to record myself since starting KTVA.  I perform every week, so I can assure you, I have improved and people notice since starting KTVA.  I have to find some time ( I have a full-time-plus day job, and gig two to three times a week) to do some recording, first of all so I can critique myself, and secondly so I can post something for everybody here to take their best shot at me.  ;^)

Here's a list of some of the songs I like to sing when there's nobody listening...

Open Arms

Waiting for a Girl Like You

We Are the Champions

Boys of Summer

Desperado

These tunes include High A's, B's, C's, and even a D or so.  I think We are the Champions has a high E-flat.. Try these songs out in the original key, and you'll see what I mean.  Once you get into this range you're starting to get into the money notes, but the tone is everything!

I'll get something together in between marathons.

Bob

bob, i think you are being too modest:)
    @Jay

you do the Savage Garden tunes very well.  Good Work!
  • KokonuhtKokonuht Member, Enrolled Posts: 658
    Wow... this is an awesome song! O_O Awesome demo as well! I totally loved it :)! This is a good example of "Range isn't all that makes a good singer!"