Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

How do I practice singing in university accommodation?

I'm just starting out with seriously practicing singing and I imagine I'd need to be able to produce loud weird noises and I'm self conscious about my flatmates and people from other flats hearing it. I probably wouldn't appreciate if someone else did it either. So any alternatives? Any other student singers managing? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    @koliko987,

Is there a school of music at your university? If so, could you possibly have access to one of their student practice rooms? Those are usually just small, private, individual rooms that have a piano and a music stand. The rooms are soundproof. It's usually a building that is nothing but these practice rooms, maybe four stories high. You might find some of these rooms are vacant at times that you could go there.

Many students practice in cars. You can sit in a parked car at some location where no one will be disturbed by you and you won't be distracted by anyone else. A car has the disadvantage of having to be seated. It is best to be standing while practicing or performing singing, because that is more effective for your breath support.

You can't pay sufficient attention to both your singing AND your driving, so driving while rehearsing is not advised, both for driving safety reasons, and because your singing practice needs your full attention as well. You can only give partial attention to your voice if you are driving, so you get less from your time spent practicing.

You might look for some empty classrooms or auditoriums, that might be available during some of the times you are not in class yourself. Possibly even a local church that is not in use during the week might let you sing in a room that is not in use.

You might have to get creative. Where there is a will there is a way. Everyone here had to find some solution that gives them a time and place where they can sing without being distracted by worrying about whether others hear them. You may just have to look around for places that are not being used and see if they might work out for you.

All the Best!

Bob
  • Options
    twelvedesigntwelvedesign Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 239
    I think @highmtn answer is excellent as always. I just wanted to add a little bit regarding my personal experience about practicing in the car.

For a long time driving to work was the only real alone time I could get, and I was doing exercises while driving. Like Bob said your focus is lost as you are paying more attention to what is going on on the road than in your body. And it is especially important to pay full attention to that when you get started.

If you have to practice in the car, I'd advise you to find a spot where you can park. Preferably without too much outside noise, overwise you will be fighting for volume and over-singing. Make sure you sit up as straight as you can. Look in the mirror (luckily all cars come with one). This is especially important for the Lah exercises. Don't rely on the feeling alone. Watch your jaw, throat, and especially tongue.

I find that I can do liprolls and tongue exercise while I am driving, but that is only because they are relatively easy to do. And I feel like I more or less mastered them, so I don't need to focus as much. If I have a spot that needs a bit more focus, I wait till I arrive to a traffic light and can focus on that particular area for a minute or so.