Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Question for singing Problem by Ariana Grande.

Recently, I'm practicing Problem by Ariana Grande. I am so confused whether she uses her real voice or falsetto in the onset of "I should be wiser and realize that I've got. Can anyone help me to answer this question and give me some tips on singing this song?

Thank you!

Alice

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Hi, @Alice.
    You're taking on a very difficult song, here. I don't know how far you are into your vocal training, but we have to start out with all of the basics before we're ready to tackle some of the most popular singers alive.

Ariana is using full voice (chest) in the main parts of the verses. Where she goes up into the stratosphere on "I should be wiser and realize that I've got", she does mix in some head voice. I wouldn't call it "falsetto" because, at least in the language used at KTVA, falsetto implies a hootier, airy sound. She's maintaining cord closure, so the sound is more timbral and matches up to her chest voice better than falsetto. In order to do a mix with that much girth in it, you have to be able to stretch your chest voice up that high, and strengthen your upper mids up that high. Then you can mix in a little bit of timbral head voice and back off the sound just a bit. OR, if you've developed your chest voice enough, just use a ton of support, pare down the tone, cut back the air, and belt it out.

There are also electronic effects being used to give her the sound she is using. It's a little bit of auto-tune or melodyne. Maybe she can hit the notes fine and it's just to get that electronic processing sound?

She also uses a lot of mask in her voice, and directs the sound up into the front of the face and also up into the nasal area.

Bob