Home Psychology of Singing

Practice, Passion and Perseverance - The Perfect Combination

tinaalcoracetinaalcorace Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 209
Welcome All KTVA Students,

I would like to share with you an experience of mine I am sure can be relatable to you. We all know as vocalists there are many ups and downs to progression and success. The key phrase we must remember is "failing forward" because with every failure, you are one step closer to success. I have been singing since I was 3, professionally since I was about 12 years old, and hit the music industry scene when I was 16 years old. With every form of criticism, I let it go, took it in, but never allowed it to rise to the surface. It is only recently after a solid hit of criticism that I found myself revisiting every other moment someone had put me down or expressed some form of discouragement of negativity. With a recent opportunity this year, I failed, and the overwhelming feelings that came with that caused a snowball effect. Since that opportunity till the beginning of this month, there was a slow and gradual decline to my self belief. I went from being confident in myself and my abilities, to not feeling confident at all. The psychology of singing and what Ken talks about is very true. Because of the negative talk I had developed, I found it affecting any form of vocal performance or practice. I went from "its okay, ill get there" to "I cant do this". Singing was and has always been all ive ever known and all of a sudden, I started feeling and thinking that singing was no longer a purpose of mine and yet, I still found myself trying. I still held on, never gave up and despite the little confidence, still believe this gift given to me had purpose. With time, conversation and tears I finally reached a breaking point. A point of success! Just when I thought that hope was diminishing, I broke through that wall; I broke through that glass sealing I felt was holding me down. I came to realise it was me! I was holding myself down from all that I could and can achieve. I started to become aware of my negative talk and made the effort to change it everytime. From "I cant do this" to "im gonna get it, maybe not today, but I will". This mentality changed my confidence and through the "failure" I had a breakthrough that has now made me feel unstoppable. Sometimes in life things have to get worse before they get better. In this instance, that is what happened to me. The whole experience reassured me of my passion, I persevered and with practice I am succeeding!

I am happy to share with you all, that despite the downfall and rough couple of months, I am back! With the support of not only my family, Ken Tamplin, my supporters and friends, but supporting and believing in myself!

In a week, I have released FOUR youtube cover videos and now a have a new-found confidence that I feel will carry me all the way. To anyone reading this my advice to you is this: No matter how hard it seems, how impossible it may appear to be, it is possible if you practice, maintain that passion and persevere! Through action you will discover your abilities to the fullest and through failure you will find your success!

If anyone wishes to see the progress and FOUR videos this past week you may do so below

Get Stupid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV2Chqrifu4

Same Old Love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0v4bTZsUXY

Hands to Myself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDMrr7FiM_0

Sorry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrM9it8_Vmk

Good singing to you!
Rise above and love,
Mys T x

Comments

• streeterstreeter Pro Posts: 679
    Stock standard part of the industry. I will say this though. Remember who won 'The Voice/Xfactor/Aus idol season 2, 3, 4, 5 or even last year? No one else does either. Those shows are career killers, not makers.
  • tinaalcoracetinaalcorace Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 209
    streeter said:

Stock standard part of the industry. I will say this though. Remember who won 'The Voice/Xfactor/Aus idol season 2, 3, 4, 5 or even last year? No one else does either. Those shows are career killers, not makers.

@streeter those shows are a great opportunity to develop experience and as they say a nice way to dip your toes in the water. They are by no means meant to be the be all and end all. The purpose of those shows is to coach, a nation wide tutorial or workshop as it were. If you go with that mindset, youll never see yourself as failing, just learning :)
  • @tinaalcorace. Thank you for sharing your post. I appreciate your advice. I am a fan of your voice and music. Keep up the good work. You are an inspiration to many of us in this forum.
  • tinaalcoracetinaalcorace Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 209

@tinaalcorace. Thank you for sharing your post. I appreciate your advice. I am a fan of your voice and music. Keep up the good work. You are an inspiration to many of us in this forum.

Love the vocal warrior name, fantastic! Thank you for the support and kind words. Means a lot. Any questions regarding vocal technique, music or performance please don't hesitate to ask

Rise above and love
    Mys T
    www.mystofficial.com