Home Vocal Health and Wellness
Options

Jaw issues

ocelot911ocelot911 Member, 2.0 PRO Posts: 7
Hey guys just a question.

I get alot of comments that i need to open my mouth when I sing.

My issue is with regards how open it needs to be.

Does the jaw Unhinge from its socket like you are yawning? Or is it as open as you can get it without unhinging the Jaw?

Like when I do unhinge the Jaw it does cause pressure and is very hard to maintain.

I can only get like two index fingers in my mouth when trying to open my mouth without hinging.

Regards,

Dan

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    @ocelot911

No, don't unhinge the jaw. The jaw should be open, and more open than most people ever think it needs to be when singing, but it should not be crazy-open, to the extent that it is painful or unhinges. It may be a little bit uncomfortable, if you're just not used to it, but that's all. Open, not painfully open.

Bob
  • Options
    ocelot911ocelot911 Member, 2.0 PRO Posts: 7
    Awesome thanks bob.

It sucks i cant really fit three finger but awesome i'll work on opening without unhinging the jaw

:)
  • Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    Don't worry about how many fingers you can fit there. Some people have longer teeth, some have small jaws.

Try to keep your tongue down at the base of the jaw, and open the jaw as much as you can, comfortably. Work on that for a while, and it will become easier and more comfortable. Don't open so much that your jaw hurts or comes unhinged. Work on opening up and remaining relaxed and comfortable. A little bit of effort to open up is good. Too much is not good.

Bob