Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Hello Everyone! : )

TrentawilsonTrentawilson Enrolled Posts: 13
edited May 2012 in INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Hey y’all

I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Trent Wilson and I am 24 years old and I am
originally from Houston, TX but I now reside in Los Angeles, CA. I have been
obsessed with music since I was a young girl. I have always dreamt of being a
singer but I always believed that you had to have been born with an amazing
voice…until I ran across Ken Tamplin’s youtube video on how anybody can learn
to sing. It really inspired me and I have bought volume 1 – 3 and I’m so ready
to learn how to sing : ).

Answers

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited May 2012

HI, Trent!

We're glad to have you
    here, and yes, you have come to the right place to get your start on realizing
    your dreams!

I also lived in Houston long ago, and then moved to California to follow my dreams of playing
    music on the West Coast.

It will take lots of
    practice and hard work, but it's fun to do when it's something you really want
    in life! So what are you waiting for? Get started on those exercises and join
    in on the fun!

Bob
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Not sure why all the html notations appeared in the post above.  I just typed normally.  ??
  • pmacpmac Pro Posts: 58

Hi Trent,

I too am new to singing and this forum.I have started on the workout from dvd 1 this week and am really enjoying things so far.Good luck with the programme and welcome.

Cheers

Paul

• GuevaraGuevara Enrolled Posts: 140

Hey there Trent!

Great that you're here! Yeah those youtube videos are very inspiring. Work hard, play hard, and sing great!

• TrentawilsonTrentawilson Enrolled Posts: 13
    Thanks guys! I have a quick question for you. How often do you practice? I was thinking about practicing for an hour in the morning and then an hour in the afternoon 6 days a week. Do you think 2 hours a day is too much of a work out on the voice or do you think this will work okay?  I would love your input.

Trent,

Two hours per day would be great, as long as you aren't pushing your voice too hard as you are practicing.  Usually you want to do the workouts all at once, but with a break perhaps at the one hour mark for about fifteen or twenty minutes, then back at it.  That way you won't have to warm up for hour number two, save for a couple of minutes of getting back into it.

If two separate workouts is the only way you can get the two hours in, then that is better than just a one hour per day regimen.

Pace yourself, don't push.  Keep yourself on track and you will make steady progress.

Bob

• sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    Hey Trent,

Its about quality not quantity.  Do the workout, then sing some songs.  There is no point in rushing things.  Your voice will grow with consistency.  I know in the beginning you will want to work work work, but just keep putting in the time day after day, and you will see results. I usually do a vocal workout series 2 or 3 then work on songs.  somedays, i just warm up on a few vowel mods, and work on songs.  all good things come to those who wait!
  • GuevaraGuevara Enrolled Posts: 140

Hi Trent,

For me, less is more. I try to limit myself  to one hour working on excercises followed by one hour working on songs and I try to do that everyday.

If you are completely new to doing vocal excercises then you will want take it a bit easy in the beginning. Really concentrate on getting the exercises absolutely right first. Like Patrick says it's about quality not quantity. In the end you will find out exactly how much you need to do for your own voice. It is different for everyone, but it is really important not to over do things:-)  

• voodoovoodoo Pro Posts: 250
    One other thing to note that Ken has mentioned.  Try to practice around the same time each day (or night) that your voice seems to be at its strongest.   In other words, don't plan to practice at a time that you are typically tired or sleepy (night owls won't practice first thing in the morning, early birds won't practice late at night, others won't practice during their afternoon siesta time).
  • KokonuhtKokonuht Member, Enrolled Posts: 658
    @highmtn , when that happens, just edit your post :D! I helped you with it ;0

Welcome to KTVA trent ^^! May your voice grow and bloom into wonders!

@kokonuhtz

Thanks, Rayhan!  I did go in to edit that post several times, but for some reason it would not accept my edits and just kept the html.  It may have something to do with the fact that the forum server seemed to get hung up when I originally put that post up  The whole forum disappeared and just the masthead for the forum was there for about an hour.  It got glitchy and when the post finally appeared it had the html, and from my computer the wierd characters were bulletproof when I tried to edit them out !!

Thanks again! 

Good to have you back, kokonuhtz!!  Hope you had a great trip!

Bob