Home The Singer's Lobby

Great singing experience last night!

matt53matt53 Pro Posts: 189
edited March 2016 in The Singer's Lobby
We had a new guitarist come in to audition with the band last night.
I had been getting discouraged about some negative comments my drummer made about my upper range belting tone, which he had described as "strained falsetto."
I decided to brush off his negativity and went into last night's rehearsal guns-a-blazing, vocally.
Since the new guitarist knew some Led Zeppelin, we decided to jam to Whole Lotta Love and some other difficult Zep tunes.
Based on my drummer's previous reaction to my upper range belting the week before, I expected a negative reaction from this guy as well.
When we were done, however, the new guitarist complimented me on my ability to hit those high Robert Plant notes and said I sang Zep real nice.
It made me feel very good inside to hear that, and he seemed to genuinely enjoy our jamming as much as I did.
Afterward, my drummer, who had told me last week to "sing withing my range," told me I sounded great on the Zeppelin songs and gave me a hug and said I sound "f*ckin good." Note: he is the last person I'd ever expect a hug from.
It seems that what I mistook for some jealousy was his misgivings that my upper range belting would get an adverse reaction from a crowd. (My bandmate told me our drummer barely has any experience playing publicly and is worried that we will sound awful.)
However, my singing getting a positive reaction from the new guitarist seemed to make my drummer embrace it as well.
As we were packing up, I heard the drummer and the new guitarist marveling at my ability to hit those high notes.
All things considered, I am very grateful I decided to stick it out with the band, and I want to thank @johnjohn and @highmtn for their advice and encouragement.
Regardless of whether this guitarist joins (he said he'd like to), I definitely want to continue in this band.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    A great addition to your story. Perhaps the negative attitude will be washed away with expectations of good things in the future, now that he has accepted your voice as worthy, rather than "strained falsetto".

Sticks and stones can break your bones, but sometimes words can do a number on you, too. I'm glad it's taken a turn for the better!

Bob
  • matt53matt53 Pro Posts: 189
    Yes, I am looking forward to what the future holds for this band, especially with this new guitarist onboard. One of the biggest reasons I wanted to join a band like this is so I could perform Zeppelin covers. The band seems to really like the way I sing Zeppelin and I'm hoping that some room will open up in our setlist for songs like Misty Mountain Hop, Whole Lotta Love and What is and What Should Never Be.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    Looking forward to things like that makes being in bands a joy. Getting past personalities that poison that joy is an accomplishment.

I'm glad you're on a good trajectory now!

Bob