Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF
Options

Hello from Florida!

My name is Joshua, and I'm training with KTVA to strengthen my singing. I'm hoping to be able to sing like Hozier in the future as that's my favorite style of music to play on guitar. I'm 18, and in college with plenty of free time to study the voice. I'm gonna become a paramedic, but my dream, if my singing gets better, is to study at Berklee college of music for singing performance. Things are going good for volume 1 and I've been in volume 1 for about 3 weeks now. My singing has shown improvement, but I seem to be stuck at stretching my chest voice, as I have no idea how to do it. I'm extremely new to singing and would like any help offered.
Thanks in advance, Josh.

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    You'll be "stuck" there for a long time, but don't look at it as being stuck. It takes a long time to develop new notes where there were none before, so don't get in any kind of hurry. The notes will come in time.

For now, just gently go as high as you can in the scales and each day, see if you can go any higher. Usually you won't, because they come slowly. Some days you won't be able to go as high as you can on others. Over the course of time, you will gain your first new note. Then a while later, maybe weeks, maybe months, another will come along and so forth. Don't try to force the notes, but gently keep stretching, like you would stretch your muscles if you were trying to gain more flexibility. You wouldn't force your limbs into excruciating pain, you would limber them up and day-by-day try to get more flexibility. Try that with your voice, and read all of the articles in the forums in the Stretching Chest Voice section so that you can learn from other students' experiences and trials.

Keep doing your daily exercises and your voice will continue to grow!

All The Best!

Bob