Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Hi! A question about the soft pallet

Hello!

Im wondering what the motivators are about not lifting the soft pallet.

What is the difference with not lifting it and lifting it? What do you gain or lose when not lifting it?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    I don't know why you would want to resist lifting the soft palate on high notes. It is natural for the soft palate to rise on very high notes, and you are creating room for resonance to help make those high notes ring more.

Ken teaches that your uvula should lift when you go to your higher notes. The uvula is part of your soft palate.
  • JonasFinnLarssonJonasFinnLarsson Pro Posts: 200
    Oh okey. I was just confused cause some people say that you shouldn't do it because it blocks the nasal cavaties.

Just wondering.
  • twelvedesigntwelvedesign Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 239
    edited May 2016
    @JonasFinnLarsson, soft palate acts as a valve that controls how much air is going into the nose. I am not sure you can actually block all the air going into the nose by lifting it alone. There is always a little bit of an opening that allows an air to pass through into the nose.

When soft palate is lifted it creates a sound board for the sound to bounce against and leave through the mouth and not nose. If it is not lifted there might be too much air going into the nose. The sound might be brighter, but it will also be very nasal.
  • Pablo150502Pablo150502 2.0 PRO Posts: 19
    @highmtn Hi hope your doing amazing... I was wondering how to be sure I'm lifiting the soft palate?

Does it feel tense their like when we yawn when raised or?
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    yes the yawning sensation is what helps you lift it. i am not sure if tense is how i would describe it though but these things are hard to describe