Home The Singer's Lobby

I sing with a rasp... Good or Bad

Hey guys, so i sing with a rasp i dont know why it just comes out when i sing. am i singing the wrong way or is this just my natural voice, because i dont try to rasp. can a rasp be part of my natural voice. i dont have a vibrato either (Which i would love to have one ) so am i singing the wrong way.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited June 2016
    Hi, Stephen.

It's hard to really know from a description. You could submit a demo and we could give you more direct information. Chances are great that the distortion you are using is not very healthy for your voice. If you are not able to go to a clean sound without distortion, that is not the right way to apply distortion.

Distortion is an effect, and it can be done in a healthy way, or it can be done in a way that could ruin your voice. You always want to have the option to sing clean or with distortion, not all one way or the other.

Here is a vibrato lesson with Ken Tamplin. Perhaps that can help you get started on getting a little vibrato started:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHbMvgIhE3w
  • Stephen_MingrinoStephen_Mingrino Member Posts: 2
    Hey thank you so much. ill be honest i dont know how to sing clean. i really dont know what it means to use the diaphragm but i try to do that. i fear is that i will ruin my voice. everytime i get done singing my voice sounds more high pitch. i have a naturally high voice in fact sometimes over the phone they will call me ma'am lol. but how would i go about sending a demo of my voice.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    You can record a demo of you singing, preferably a scale, but you can send a song. The song or scale should demonstrate the things you are wanting to know about. Post your recording on soundcloud, or YouTube, and then come here and copy and paste a link to your demo in your post.

Add it to this same posting, so we can reference what you have already told us.

Bob