Home Psychology of Singing

I am my harshest critic

JoyceJoyce Pro Posts: 131
edited July 2016 in Psychology of Singing
Hello,
We have had our show last week, I had 3 songs to perform with the band.
There was a very good atmosphere. The other singers, the musicians, the dancers, my new singing instructor are all super friendly. They all seem to like me and always compliment me on my voice and my singing.
The problem is, I saw the videos and did not like my performances at all. I could see that I was stressed and it showed. I oversung, and forced on certain notes especially the low ones. I am beginning to think that those people are not telling me the truth because they don't want to hurt my feelings. (Last year I had the exact reverse experience)

One thing is sure, I will correct myself based on what I see and hear, not on what other people tell me. Perception of music is so subjective I know but one sure way to correct yourself is to make short films and record yourself.
Another lesson for me.

Have a great day...

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Being your own harshest critic is a common trait for many. The best you can do with that is to honestly take note of the things about your performance that bother you the most and think about what positive changes you can make to improve those items. Make adjustments, learn from your imperfections, and move forward. Turn your weaknesses into strengths.

In this case, it sounds like you need to find your happy place when you perform, so that you won't feel and appear to be so stressed. The fact that the other performers are accepting of you and are nice people should help to make it easier for you to accept yourself as you are. Being at peace with yourself during a performance can help to make it a more pleasing experience for you, in the moment. Sometimes, when you have very infrequent performances, it can be easy to put too much pressure on yourself, kind of a "Make it or Break it" situation. If you perform more frequently, it can be less of a "Do or Die" ordeal, and instead you can be more of your happy self during the performance. Perhaps you can find some ways to have more shows and get a chance to let go of the tension as performing becomes a more familiar and friendly experience for you.

All the Best!

Bob
  • JoyceJoyce Pro Posts: 131
    @highmtn, yes exactly, and you read between the lines....
    Your advices are always judicious and so helpful.... you have a gift ..........
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    @Joyce,

One thing I should have mentioned also, is that our lowest notes require kind of a special type of support. That's something we just need to spend a little time with and figure out how it's done.

Because we are always so focused on more high range, we can find ourselves unprepared for some low-range consistency.

Low notes happen on the full length of our vocal cords and use the most air, even at low volumes, due to the use of more cord length. So we have to concentrate on keeping the air really steady and constant. We have to practice that a bit just to get it worked out in our head and our body. We don't have to push down as hard as we do when singing high notes, but it's still just as important to maintain a downward push that is both firm (to keep our voice from wobbling) yet light (so that we don't sing too loud or hard.

When we are up very high, the pressures are greater, but the air flow is a smaller stream. Down low, it's a larger stream, but we have to gently keep it steady and consistent.

Experience is a great teacher. We just need to spend some time working on those low notes, sustaining them, singing lightly and singing with more strength so that we can work out how to support those notes. Consistency is the key.

All the Best!

Bob