Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Eddie Vedder

RobinsRobins Pro Posts: 33
edited January 2014 in Vocal Health and Wellness
Some questions.. :) 

Ive read that Ken uses the same vocal technique as Eddie Vedder.. Could anyone elaborate on that?

And Whats Eddies vocal style (tons of support and great resonance) ? 

Was the technique he use in his early years (ex. pearl jam mtv unplugged) unhealthy? 

His probably my biggest inspiration, so im curious ;)

Rock on 

Best Answers

Answers

• RobinsRobins Pro Posts: 33
    @Ken Tamplin

Thanks Ken!

What confuses me however is that there is a page on this web site (that i cant link to from here for some reason?) that clearly says :

Eddie Vedder uses the same singing technique as taught by Ken Tamplin Vocal Coach.
    By KTVA On December 15, 2010 · No Comments · In KTVA
    Eddie Vedder uses the same singing technique as taught by Ken Tamplin
    Vocal Coach. 

and that was one of the main reasons i bought your program...

So whats that about?

Shanti

/Robin

• RobinsRobins Pro Posts: 33
    @kentamplin

So now I know, thx.. I will stick with your program and im also considering a skype lesson!

Thx

/Robin
  • neil501nycneil501nyc Enrolled Posts: 5
    Agreed, avoid Eddie Vedder's method.
    Work with Ken's methods, master them as well as you can, then later on you can 'cover' the sound and make it dark and grungy if you want. The old adage still holds true, 'learn the rules before you break them.'
  • megamando93megamando93 Member Posts: 1

Ediie Vedder early on took from one of the same vocal coaches I have taken from for many years.

As his career went on, he deviated from that technique (in fact he stopped working out at all and started losing his voice which many rock stars do). They think they are above the law and no longer need to abide by it. Whether that is taking more drugs than the next guy (and eventually OD'ing) or driving their car too fast and killing themselves.

I have since distanced myself from Eddie because of this as I don't want people hurting their voices thinking I endorse where he has taken his voice.

At KTVA we teach great healthy singing regardless of the singer and or style.

You can sing in his same style safely, but there are rules to do this which is what I teach. Anything less will cost you.

I would be more than happy to give you a refund if you like, simply contact my assistant Lynette at ktvahelp@gmail.com and send her this thread.

If you'd like to stay and learn, we welcome your continuing with KTVA.

-Ken
    So are you saying at one point his vocal techniques were good, but he deviated and this caused his voice to deteriorate? It is very obvious to compare his 'screams' from 1992 to 1995. Did he at one point actually have good technique with compression or was it always poor, and his technique worsened when he started to slack?
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    As his career went on, he deviated from that technique (in fact he stopped working out at all and started losing his voice which many rock stars do).
  • YötaYöta Member Posts: 6

Ediie Vedder early on took from one of the same vocal coaches I have taken from for many years.

As his career went on, he deviated from that technique (in fact he stopped working out at all and started losing his voice which many rock stars do). They think they are above the law and no longer need to abide by it. Whether that is taking more drugs than the next guy (and eventually OD'ing) or driving their car too fast and killing themselves.

I have since distanced myself from Eddie because of this as I don't want people hurting their voices thinking I endorse where he has taken his voice.

At KTVA we teach great healthy singing regardless of the singer and or style.

You can sing in his same style safely, but there are rules to do this which is what I teach. Anything less will cost you.

I would be more than happy to give you a refund if you like, simply contact my assistant Lynette at ktvahelp@gmail.com and send her this thread.

If you'd like to stay and learn, we welcome your continuing with KTVA.

-Ken
    So are you saying at one point his vocal techniques were good, but he deviated and this caused his voice to deteriorate? It is very obvious to compare his 'screams' from 1992 to 1995. Did he at one point actually have good technique with compression or was it always poor, and his technique worsened when he started to slack?
    In any case, what should be taken into account is the physiological givens, the peculiarities of a specific vocal apparatus. To put it simply, what one singer can afford himself to do with his voice even without proper training is not necessarily what other singer can afford. The tricky thing is that inexperienced singers rarely know their red lines, that is, how much risk they can take, and that can cost them their voice. Obviously, Eddie has some pipes, a hell of a throat. But if he screams his ass off doesn't mean everyone can do it "'cause it's fun". English as a mother tongue is another broad topic. The American English is a very "open", pro-vocal language with a lot of natural accent put on articulation and vowels. Italian (as known) is another good example of a "vocal" language. It's much more difficult to learn to "open it", for example, for Hebrew or French native speakers. In short, there are a lot of factors to deal with.
  • Interesting thread