Home About Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy

I have some doubts before buying this program

Hello, I'm dreaming about this program for almost two years but I didn't have a credit card... I bought a few vocal programs but got frustrated because I couldn't improve my voice at all, I got frustrated. Well, before purchasing I got a few questions if you mind...

I'm wondering if ressonances will be worked as that's the part I fail most, I didn't have much efficient exercises about it.

Are the exercises implied into actual singing? Because most exercises are all about scales and simple vocalizes but songs are much harder to sing than exercises, they are really simple but when I go to practical singing I fail terribly...

And also I would like to know if I'm going to learn distortions... I'm a big Dio fan and would like to have a giant voice like his, also to learn how he does his roaring sound (I don't how you can his growls, in Brazil we call them as "drive"). I know I'm a female but most of my idols are male, specially in metal!

Looking forward for answers

Carrie

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited July 2016
    Hi, @Carrie_The_Strange,

You have kind of a strange username, but that's OK. :^)

I was just talking to a friend of mine (a musician friend) this evening, and I was telling him about how I had spent thousands of dollars buying vocal courses on the internet, and how none of those courses had worked. Those were the really famous ones, the ones that run their ads across Ken Tamplin's Videos. Those courses are hoaxes. They take your money and give you nothing.

I did lots of research on the voice and learned that Open Throat singing was a very safe and healthy way to sing. I also knew that I wanted to learn to sing powerfully, with great tone, and the courses that promise to get you into the "Zone" or give your singing great "Success" or to be "Superior" had turned out to be liars and cheats. Their ads promised great results. Reality was that these vocal coaches can't even sing very well at all themselves, and their courses didn't work for me, even after trying for YEARS as hard as I could to make them work. When you really listen to these other vocal coaches in the FEW existing recordings of them, they are embarrasingly BAD at singing. If their singing courses are so good, then Why Don't Their Methods Work On THEM?

My searches for more information on belting and Open Throat eventually led me to find some of Ken Tamplin's video vocal demonstrations. I found Ken Tamplin singing Fooled Around and Fell In Love. I was floored by this guy's voice. I thought, if only I could sing half as good as that, I would be really happy. In his videos Ken said "If you like the way I sing, I'll SHOW YOU how I do it!"

I knew right then and there that I wanted his course. But I had already spent so much money being cheated by those other clowns that I was hesitant, and wanted to wait until I felt I could better "afford" to buy it. "What if" Ken was a cheater, too? But he could really sing, and the others were lame by comparison... I waited a whole year before I bought it. That was the stupidest thing I have ever done, because I would be one year further along today in my vocal journey if I had immediately bought it. Instead I waited, and I even bought more worthless programs before buying KTVA.

Back then KTVA cost more than it does now. It was hard for me to spend that much money on one course, after having wasted thousands of dollars already on singing courses that simply did not teach me to sing above a third-grade elementary school level, but had impressive, slick advertising.

The smartest thing I ever did was to go ahead and buy the KTVA course when I finally did. I was just as poor as I was the day I first wanted it, but from that day forward I was RICH in SINGING KNOWLEDGE and in increasing vocal capabilities. My vocal range began to grow. My vocal tone began to grow. My confidence to sing better and better grew as my voice improved. Those other courses had given me nothing for my money. KTVA gave me the abilities to build the singing voice that I had always wanted.

My life changed when I started seriously following Ken's lessons and practicing what he teaches. None of the other courses I had taken had given even a fraction of the results I got from KTVA. It has been years now, and I'm still learning and improving.

On to your specific questions: Ken teaches what are called Vowel Modifications. That is a technique involving Vocal Tract Shaping. When you go into higher notes, the resonant frequencies of the voice shift upward, and it becomes necessary to slightly reshape the spaces in the back of the Open Throat, in order to take advantage of resonant frequencies. That's a little bit of an overcomplication of something that is really quite simple. To make it easier: You reshape the back of the throat to allow the notes to ring with a natural resonance that makes the notes easier to sing, with less stress on your voice.

Ken makes it pretty simple, and tells you and shows you how to do it. It was a little hard for me to understand at first, but I was just stubborn. When I realized how simple it really was, I found that it was quite easy to understand and it just makes it easier to sing higher notes. With student access to the forums here, there are discussions about the vowel mods, and we listen to student demos to help make sure they are getting it right.

The PRO Pack Bundle is the way to go, because it includes access to several hours worth of videos that are of male and female KTVA students going through the vowel modifications and all of the exercises, as well.

As to your question about transferring the information in the course over into actual songs, again, there is a students-only part of the KTVA forums that is called "Applying KTVA Methods to Songs". We talk about this subject there.

The reason the exercises are the way they are is to break down the techniques to the simplest components: Vowels. We do one or two vowels at a time in most exercises. That way, we strip down the singing voice to its most basic level. If you can't get it right on a scale of one vowel, you certainly aren't going to be able to get it right on a song made up of hundreds of vowels and consonants.

So we train on scales, some of them very challenging, so that we can get the basic building blocks of the voice to become very strong and stable. THEN we take those vowels and start using those concepts in singing songs.

Again, the PRO Pack Bundle includes many songs, Karaoke-style, Rock, Pop, Soul, and several other genres for you to practice the techniques on. You have 3 copies of several songs to work on, one with just Ken's voice, One with Ken singing to the music, and a third copy with music and no vocals for you to practice singing along.

Ken goes over several important guidelines for you in Volume 2 regarding how to sing actual songs.

It's a big leap to go from just singing scales to then implementing those skills into songs, because things happen very fast when singing a song... but you NEED those skills and strengths that the scales give you. NOBODY has scales and exercises that will build your voice the way Ken's scales will. If you will follow Ken's instructions and do what he instructs you to do, you will find that his methods really work ON SONGS.

Now your question about distortions... Ken teaches that in Volume 3. You really need to go through Volumes 1 and 2 before you are ready for distortion, in order to do it safely. Distortion, if done incorrectly, can destroy your voice. Ken shows you how to distort safely, and how to prevent your voice from going hoarse. Again, I recommend the PRO Pack bundle, which gives you access to the PRO VIDEOS on the forums. There you get to watch male and female KTVA students being taught to distort safely as Ken teaches them and corrects them when they are doing it incorrectly.

You've come to the right place if you are serious about building a voice that will last you a lifetime of great singing. Don't get fooled by those fakes that are circling like buzzards around Ken's YouTube Videos. They are trolls. They are liars and cheats. Their courses will leave you feeling like you were cheated and robbed. I know. I bought them. Don't make the mistakes I made.

Go straight to KTVA. The singing voice you have always wanted will begin to come to life when you get your KTVA PRO Bundle and get to work. Come join us!

All the Best!

Bob

• AlvisAlvis Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 117
    edited July 2016
    @highmtn Thanks for the detailed, analytical post for would-be buyers like myself!

I got a quick question, though. For people like me who don't have a studio, where would be an ideal place to practice without disturbing others/my neighbors? Where do you usually do your practices?

Looking forward to hearing from you again.

Best,

Alvis Yu
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    @Alvis,

Everyone has to come up with a place to practice. Sometimes it's just waiting for everyone else to leave the house or apartment. Others practice in the car on the way to work.

You simply have to practice. Just listening to lessons won't give you any exercise or opportunity to learn by doing.

Maybe there is a school room or a room in a church on weekdays that nobody is using. Maybe there is a parking lot that is empty on certain days or at certain times that you can drive to. You need to practice regularly in order to improve, and practicing while driving is not ideal, because you need to give your practice your full attention whenever possible. That's not possible while driving, which requires full attention for safety.

All the Best!

Bob
  • AlvisAlvis Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 117
    @highmtn
    Just figured out how to quote your name :) Should've done this earlier.

Thank you for your feedback. Much appreciated.

I am glad and proud to report to you that after 3 years of waiting, contemplating, and spates of singing sprees at karaoke parlors, I finally purchased it last night. Can't wait to see the transformation in my voice!

As to the practice venue, I'd try to think of an ideal place to do so...I mostly do my random singing while riding my scooter (while wearing an all-cover helmet lol) or in the shower. But you were right, safety first!

Thanks as always for your helpful feedback, Bob! Keep up the good work/singing!

Best,

Alvis
    @Alvis,

I'm stoked to hear that you have decided to Rock your voice with Ken's program. Practice every chance you get. You're going to start getting comments at karaoke of people asking what your secret is...

All the Best!

Bob